Tom McGuire's Most Exciting Mission...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was reported that he did order his men to keep their tanks. Martin Caiden reported that they were about a 1,000ft above the terain, less than 200mph and full of fuel or low, slow, and fat. He also reported that he had regained control of his plane after a high angle of attack stall but was to close to the trees. Even McGuire couldn't break all the rules of combat and make it work - even in a P-38.

I'm trying to locate information about my wife's grandfather Kenneth Richardson. I realize that this is a long shot but I figured I would give it a try.

Apparently Kenneth Richardson was a member of the "431st Fighter Squadron – 475th Fighter Group" and was listed as MIA on 11/02/43 – which seems to indicate that he was involved an attack upon "Rabaul".

If anyone has any information concerning him I would greatly appreciate it.

In a Flight Journal Magazine, it said that McGuire and Lindbergh actually shared a tent with each other when lindy was operation with the squadron.
They had the common interest of flying obviously, but their personalities was vastly different, Mac being cocky and extroverted, lindy being the exact opposite. Also when they came back from sorties, Lynch (iirc) and Mac were the guys who talked to the reporters about their kills etc, while Bong was the laidback guy. At one point after he'd downed 3 zeroes the reporter asked, "so how many did you get today ****?" -Bong Replied " I got a Couple"
The reporter then proceeded to ask him why he was such a good shot, he then replied "maybe its because i grew up shootin birds on the farm" -- A gross understatement Lindy also attended Mac's funeral.

I also remember one particular story on how Mac used to land his P38.
First he overflew the airstrip at full speed, just a couple of feet over the runway to check if there were any bomb-craters etc there, almost at the end of the runway he pulled up in a tight loop, popping flaps and landing gear at the apex, he then proceeded to land. Other Pilots commented that they've never ever heard the P38's engine roar like that, but some also though he only did it to show off is exceptional abilities. But infact it was an effective way to get your aircraft on the ground in like 30-40 Seconds

Great pilot, that McGuire

That stall, wasn't he trying to resque another mate in the flight, thus leading to the stall? Or did he suddenly just stall low and slow and then crashed?

At Chino 2004 where I talked to that P38 pilot, he told us about McGuires last mission. Although he wasnt on it, when word got back to the group about his loss, there was a "pall of gloom and incredularity". Noone could believe that McGuire went in.

The briefing they got a few days later on what happened was met with a "wtf was he thinking" attitude. He violated nearly all the rules he personally briefed them on when they joined the group.

Richard_H said:
That stall, wasn't he trying to resque another mate in the flight, thus leading to the stall? Or did he suddenly just stall low and slow and then crashed?

He pulled an exceptionaly tight turn to go to the aid of another pilot - as the story goes.

He did break virtualy every rule in the book he was low, slow, heavy with full fuel and 300gal external tanks.

wmaxt

Users who are viewing this thread