Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yokosuka P1Y Ginga "Milky Way"

• Ilyushin Il-4

• Tupolev Tu-2

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You can find both Revell and Monogram frequently on eBay - monogram better scale

I was looking at getting one from Squadron so I could justify paying the freight on a $2 canopy for the Stuka model I am working on. Seems that the paint-removing hand cleaner I was using to clean up the canopy also melts plastic.

I got a Do-335 (1/48 scale, Tamiya) to make it worth the order.

Back to the regularly scheduled poll/thread.

tom

Because of the arguement in the Best Bomber thread I figured I would start this up.

What do you think was the Top Medium Bomber? Now Top does not necessarily mean the best or anything like that. I personally dont really like the "Best of" threads because each aircraft can be considered the best in something in most cases.

Well have a go at it...
I voted for the B-25.
History proved just how versatile that plane was.

However, what do you mean by "Top", if not "best"? (in our own opinions, of course).
I'm a little confused by how you're using the word "Top" in this case.

Also, the A-20, A-26, Mosquito and Beaufort were all considered "Light" bomber / Attack aircraft.

Elvis

Top can be whatever you think it is. This is based on your opinion. You state why you think a certain aircraft is the "top" one.

For instance I think the top Medium Bomber is the Junkers Ju 88. It was probably the most versatile aircraft to see service in WW2. That is why I think it was the top aircraft in this catagory.

Der Crewchief,seine gesundheit wiedererlangen und es tut mir leid für gestern. First the Ar 234 was the most advanced bomber of it time, but for me the Brigand was best. It was an allrounder,Ground attack,bomber,torpedo bomber and fighter.Served for 15 years in the RAF. The name fitted the aircraft. The b-25 bomber,Beaufort torpedo ect. The Buckingham was obsolete even before it had flown. I also think the poll list is very good

Top can be whatever you think it is. This is based on your opinion. You state why you think a certain aircraft is the "top" one.

For instance I think the top Medium Bomber is the Junkers Ju 88. It was probably the most versatile aircraft to see service in WW2. That is why I think it was the top aircraft in this catagory.

Ah, I see what you're getting at now.
Ok, thank you for clarifying that.

Yes, I'll still stick with the B-25, for the same reason I gave before, although I do agree taht the Ju88 was also shown to be a very versatile aircraft as well.

Elvis

I don't see how Chris. Just draw up a list of tasks and compare it with the tasks of the Mosquito.
Plus, one can also look at it from the perspective of actually excelling in its tasks. I mean, you can make the Ba.88 in 40 versions, right?

Kris

I don't see how Chris. Just draw up a list of tasks and compare it with the tasks of the Mosquito.
Plus, one can also look at it from the perspective of actually excelling in its tasks. I mean, you can make the Ba.88 in 40 versions, right?

Kris

I can think of only one task that the Mosquito could do that the Ju 88 could not and that was Carrierborne aircraft.

I never said it was the best at each role, I just said that it was the most versatile.

Just because there are 40 versions of an aircraft does not mean it can pull 40 different roles.

Yes it certainly was a very versatile design! And the fact that it appeared so early is something to be condsidered, the A-26 was a very nice aircraft but if you have to wait until 1944.....

Yes it certainly was a very versatile design! And the fact that it appeared so early is something to be condsidered, the A-26 was a very nice aircraft but if you have to wait until 1944.....

Gen Kenny of the 5th AF (and later FEAF) didnt like the A26 as a strafer/skip bomber.

The B25 was considered superior in that role.

I actually think the Ar 234 was the best medium bomber of all those on the list. The argument against will consist of small numbers and it had no effect on the outcome of the war...

...but the fact remains, for a single aircraft vs. single aircraft; the Ar 234C was the most advanced. It carried enough of a bomb-load to cause serious damage and did it faster than any of the others; making interception extremely difficult.

True enough it was the most advanced. But what did it do exactly, to effect the outcome of a battle or campaign?

It depends whether you think "Top" means "Best" or "Most Effective" He could be saying the Ar234 was "Best" and could have been very effective if there were more produced used.

Here's a question I have: Does anyone have stats on which of the Medium bombers was the best in DEFENSE against fighters? By this I mean if the bomber is operating without fighter cover and is intercepted by fighters, which bomber would stand the best chance of not getting shot down?

I know that the Ju88, Do217, A-20, Pe-2, Havoc etc were fast enough agile enough to have fighter varients made, were the BOMBER VERSIONS of these any more defensible than say a B-25, B-26 or He111 or IL-4?

"Only one Luftwaffe unit, KG 76 (Kampfgeschwader or Bomber Wing 76), was equipped with Ar 234 bombers before Germany's surrender. As the production of the Ar 234 B-2 increased in tempo during fall 1944, the unit received its first aircraft and began training at Burg bei Magdeburg. The unit flew its first operations during December 1944 in support of the Ardennes Offensive. Typical missions consisted of pinprick attacks conducted by less than 20 aircraft, each carrying a single 500 kg (1,100 lb.) bomb. The unit participated in the desperate attacks against the Allied bridgehead over the Rhine at Remagen during mid-March 1945, but failed to drop the Ludendorff railway bridge and suffered a number of losses to anti-aircraft fire. The deteriorating war situation, coupled with shortages of fuel and spare parts, prevented KG 76 from flying more than a handful of sorties from late March to the end of the war. The unit conducted its last missions against Soviet forces encircling Berlin during the final days of April. During the first week of May the unit's few surviving aircraft were either dispersed to airfields still in German hands or destroyed to prevent their capture."

Arado Ar 234B-2 Blitz

Easily the most advanced of the list it did see a fair amount of ops but it didn't have the effect on the war the B-25, B-26, A-26, Mossie or JU-88. Still technologically it was the best, operationally it lacks combat ops but still overall it is top 3 at least. (Mine would be A-26, Ar-234 and Mossie (Ju-88 and B-25 round the top 5)).

Thanks syscom, for saying exactly what I stated would be the response. The Ar 234 saw enough combat to be a proven design, it had no effect on the war, but having an effect on the war doesn't make a design - it's the design itself.
There's very few aircraft that had an effect on the war, anyway, to name the few: P-51, B-29 and C-47. No other aircraft on their own had an effect on the war.

Ar-234 for the same reasons as Plan_D stated.

The Ju-88, B-25 Mosquito are the top of the piston engined medium bombers.

I actually think the Ar 234 was the best medium bomber of all those on the list. The argument against will consist of small numbers and it had no effect on the outcome of the war...

...but the fact remains, for a single aircraft vs. single aircraft; the Ar 234C was the most advanced. It carried enough of a bomb-load to cause serious damage and did it faster than any of the others; making interception extremely difficult.

Like the Me 262, the Ar 238 had the best performance - is that enough to be the 'Best or Top'? If selection criteria included tons of bombs dropped, or targets destroyed, or (if one could find it) amount of production or labor hours expended to repair damage, ... in other words material effect to enemy operations neither will fit when such criteria would be applied.

I agree it was a.) the Best in context of performance, b.) the Best in context of Potential, and c.) the bottom, or near last, of the list in context of contribution.

Regards,

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back