Top ten

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

trackend said:
102first_hussars said:
and a few months after the failure, the canadian army would end up liberating Holland.

Ill tell my old man that 102 he must have dream't being at the Walchrans
in Middleburg with the Poles, no 4 Commando and the Canadians and in the Waal area. Although the largest contingent was Canadian the British Poles had troops involved as well.

Yes I forgot to mention that there was a handful of Brits involved didnt know there was poles there.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
102first_hussars said:
plan_D said:
They understand the general language but more obscure words, and slang they cannot understand for obvious reasons. And no, the questions about British stereotypes rarely pop-up and are always a joke.

The questions are normally about things in Britain. Things that people from Britain take as normal but are not in America. Like the raised up concrete bumps on the paths either side of the crossing to tell blind people they've crossed the road. All my American friends ask about them.

It's interesting to see Britain from their point of view. All my American friends love Britain and love the British. And I like Americans - all anti-American, and anti-British sentiment in anyone from either nation is bull. We're the two greatest allies in history and always will be. But you'll always have those idiots that go on about Britain's Empire being evil and then British ones going on about America ruining the world ...

Even if they are loud mouth yank bastards! Yeah, you come to the war late and say you won it! :rolleyes:

:laughing6:

For some reason it pisses most Canadians off when Americans call Chocolate Bars-Candy Bars and Pop-Soda, and how they pronounce the letter Z-Zee instead of Zed, really weird it has always naturaly irritated me and people I know

Does it piss you off when Japanese speak Japanese? Jesus the US speaks a different english than you, who cares. If thats what pisses you guys off up there then you have real problems. Its just like here in Germany, the German that the Bavarians speak is different than the German that Schwabians speak.

I also said that it doesnt piss me off persay.
Now about those Japanese, they scare the Sh*t out of me when theyre angry.

trackend said:
Right now all that agreeing is done with perhaps we can get back to some sensible arguing

You rang? :twisted:

book1182 said:
5. MG42; early version of the M-60???

102first_hussars said:
I see what you meen but about number 5, the M-60 has alot of the same features as the MG-42, when I think of the MG42 I think of it as the early version of the FN Mag.

The M60 has features from both the MG42 (feed) and FG42 (system). IMHO the MG3 is the best GPMG, follwed by the FN 240/MAG/GPMG/Gimpy.

The FN has the BAR mechanism, turned 180 degrees.

book1182 said:
7. Panzer IV; what I think was the first real tank.

No, I don't think so. It depends what you mean? but the PzIV wasn't the 1st in any respect really. :confused:

102first_hussars said:
and for #10 with all due respect to the Paratroopers they did fail in Arnhem, and a few months after the failure, the canadian army would end up liberating Holland.

Yes, but they showed resolve.

DerAdler said:
Its just like here in Germany, the German that the Bavarians speak is different than the German that Schwabians speak.

You're not kidding! :shock:

BTW: How is PORSCHE pronounced with a Stuttgart accent?

trackend said:
If you want to call a crisp a chip and we want to call chip a crisp big deal

Now that's going too far! :lol: It's like calling a spade an earth moving implement. ;)

Chips = 'French (PD?) Fries' Crisps = Walkers, Seabrooks etc

Anyone gonna argue with that?? :twisted:

:shock: !!ACHTUNG!! :shock:

I'm going to rant here:

I hate it when blackboards are called 'chalkboards' and manholes, whatever etc - just to keep the PC Brigade happy!! It really gets on my tats :!:

:evil: :evil: !!FUME!! :evil: :evil:

You can tell I'm at one with the Universe today, can't you? ;)

[quote="schwarzpanzer
Chips = 'French (PD?) Fries' Crisps = Walkers, Seabrooks etc

Anyone gonna argue with that?? :twisted:

[/quote]

Yes I'll have a go

Chips have piss all to do with French bleeding fries a Chip is short for chipped as in wood chips although it has been accepted as the description for strips of potato. Frog fries are piddly thin things like juliens and apart from that fries is not a word in the collins dictionary only fry and its past tense fried.

Well really D, fucking French fries any nation that thinks eating a whole song bird cooked with feathers and all which has to be consumed with your head under a blanket in one mouthful (I'm referring to one of President Mitterrand's last meals) then says their gastronomes can't tell the British how to make chips or come to that boil eggs.

To be honest, I think that Market Garden was a stupid plan... but I have to admire the Paras for thier sheer determination in taking that bridge and clinging on till the very last. Equally, the more successful D-Day drops showed the same determination and fighting qualities. Hard men indeed.

Operation Market Garden was a late plan, not a stupid one. It would have worked had they undertaken it in August, instead of September.

BombTaxi said:
To be honest, I think that Market Garden was a stupid plan... but I have to admire the Paras for thier sheer determination in taking that bridge and clinging on till the very last. Equally, the more successful D-Day drops showed the same determination and fighting qualities. Hard men indeed.

Market Garden was very promising, it had the potential to end the war by christmas, The Allied command knew very well how risky the operation would be and they were willing to risk it and really the Allies only happend upon the Germans under bizzare circumstances, not long before the Operation commensed there was barely any Germans in Holland they were all in and behind theyre lines in the Ardennes, but the Germans had recently redirected a bunch of their exhausted troops to Holland to rest and once the battle commenced Hitler organized a crack counterstrike force in the event that we crossed Nijamegan and we did crossed and we got Knocked The F*ck Out!!

Oh and PD the Allies couldnt have taken Holland in August as the Allies were still chasing the Germans out of France.

trackend:

Chips have piss all to do with French bleeding fries a Chip is short for chipped as in wood chips although it has been accepted as the description for strips of potato. Frog fries are piddly thin things like juliens and apart from that fries is not a word in the collins dictionary only fry and its past tense fried.

Well I think the French invented them, a British hijack. - Like Louis Wibault (a Frog) invented the Harrier jump jet/Pegasus.

Pomme frites, that's what I'll call them henceforth! (As I'm sure PlanDiddy already does)

I liked the mini-rant trackend. :)

PlankD said:
Operation Market Garden was a late plan, not a stupid one.

Yeah right, "no Panzers"? - What a fiasco!

I suppose Operation Market Gerden only really failed if the people of Holland were mistreated as well as having the anguish of nearly been liberated.
However, they always are very grateful so...

Are you sure though trackend that you seriously wouldn't want to eat an endangered species of bird with your head under a blanket? :lol:

Sounds like an ideal way for PD to spend an afternoon that does.

Just to clear it up, THESE are chips...

chips.jpg

and these are french fries...

09-22-french-fries.jpg

Chips are SO much nicer.

Poor-sha. thats how I say it, not Porsh ;) Ah, the pronunciation of Porsche is one that has been debated for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back