The Top Twenty War Movies You Love and Hate

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

10 Best War Movies
Kellys Heros. All time favorite I think I watched it twenty times on TV before getting my first VCR
A Bridge Too Far. Very realistic
Memphis Belle. My Dad liked it and he flew in B-17s and B-24s with the 8th Air Force
Patton. George C. Scott was Patton
The Great Escape. Great cast. Great true story
Stalag 17. As long as I'm on POW movies. Dad was a guest of the Germans in 45' and also
loved this movie.
Air Force. How often do you get to see a B-17D as the star of a movie
Tora Tora Tora. Did a good job of showing it from both sides.
The Dirty Dozen. Just great
The Longest Day. Another one I've watched countless times
Von Ryan's Express. Another great POW escape movie (Sorry, couldn't hold it to 10)

Worst War Movies
Battle of the Bulge. Seemed like the writers had only the vaguest Idea about the subject matter. Battleground was much better
Casablanca Express. Horrible movie. Too bad it was Glenn Ford's last. And was that really Sean Connery's son?
I'm sure there's more that I have forced myself to forget

Tora Tora Tora has some B-17's were those C's?

No. Should have been though. That was a later model with the big tail, probably a B-17G with the chin turret removed. The B-17s that were caught at Pearl were mostly the early models with the skinny tails although I think a few might have been 'E's, the first model with the big tails.

I guess my 10 favorites in no particular order would be , hmmmmmmm....

Battleground
Hamburger Hill
Full Metal Jacket
Fighter Squadron- A bit cliched, but has some excellent P-47 footage.
Zulu
THe Bridges at Toko Ri
Das Boot- have seen it in both German and English
12 O'clock High
Saving Private Ryan- Probably the most graphic war movie made.
Sahara - The one with Bogie

Can't add too much to the worst list, I can only say that U-571 does deserve to be there.

Can't add too much to the worst list, I can only say that U-571 does deserve to be there.

U-571 is a piece of rubbish, and I refuse to watch it on principle, as it tells the story of the Royal Navy's capture of Enigma equipment as if the US Navy actually did it, and also portrays U-boat crewmen murdering merchant seamen as if it was a piece of German naval doctrine. Overall, an affront to both the Royal Navy and the Kreigsmarine, and one that the cast, director and studio should all be ashamed of.

U-571 is a piece of rubbish, and I refuse to watch it on principle, as it tells the story of the Royal Navy's capture of Enigma equipment as if the US Navy actually did it, and also portrays U-boat crewmen murdering merchant seamen as if it was a piece of German naval doctrine. Overall, an affront to both the Royal Navy and the Kreigsmarine, and one that the cast, director and studio should all be ashamed of.

I agree wholeheartedly Bomb but I'm surprised at your selection of 'bad' war movies. A few there like "Full Metal", "Das Boot" and "Zulu" (I will agree with "Zulu Dawn" :) ) I thought were done far better than anything previous especially "Das Boot". Can't think of a more realistic sub movie.

No. Should have been though. That was a later model with the big tail, probably a B-17G with the chin turret removed. The B-17s that were caught at Pearl were mostly the early models with the skinny tails although I think a few might have been 'E's, the first model with the big tails.

What makes you think early model B17's were available 30 years after the war?

If youre looking for absolute historical accuracy in regards to ships and airplanes; then no movie would be possible.

I agree wholeheartedly Bomb but I'm surprised at your selection of 'bad' war movies. A few there like "Full Metal", "Das Boot" and "Zulu" (I will agree with "Zulu Dawn" :) ) I thought were done far better than anything previous especially "Das Boot". Can't think of a more realistic sub movie.

That list was my 'good ones' Njaco.
8)

10 Best War Movies:

1. A Bridge Too Far.
2. Murphy's War.
3.Battle of Britain.
4. Memphis Belle.
5. Bridge on the river Kwai.
6. Tora Tora Tora.
7. The Great Escape.
8. Schindler's List.
9. The Guns of Navarone.
10. Empire of the Sun.

Favorite War Movies (not in any specific order)

Saving Private Ryan
Tora Tora Tora
Patton
When Trumpets Fade
We Were Soldiers
Flags of Our Fathers
The Dirty Dozen
Bridge On The River Kwai
The Longest Day
Wake Island
The Purple Heart
They Were Expendable
From Here To Eternity
Heaven Knows, Mr Allison

Bad ones.....(there are more)

Pearl Harbor
The Thin Red Line

TO

My favourite 10 in order
1: The Cruel Sea
2: Zulu
3: The Caine Mutiny
4: Das Boot
5: Stalag 17
6: Captive Heart
7: Ice Cold in Alex
8: Sahara
9: Aces High
10: Run Silent Run Deep

The Red Badge of Courage might have made it into the top 10 if the MGM hadnt cut John Hustons original to ribbons. Though it is frustratingly possible to see traces of what it might have been it is still a good film.

Worst war movie anything made in the last 30 years why do they think big explosions make up for dire dialogue, historical inaccuracy and lazy stereotyping.

Last edited:
TO, you reminded me of a war movie which, IMO, belongs on the list. They Were Expendable, of course. Not just a good war movie but a truly great example of John Ford at his best and the hopeless efforts of the troops in the PI.

One that I thought of was Fly Boys. Good WWI aviation movie. The Neuport replicas looked good except for the Fake Rotory engines. Flying sequences were good and the CGI was execellent.

Just reading thru these lists brings to mind,

Johnny Got His Gun?
Beach Red?
No Time for Sergeants?
Inglorious Bastards?
Father Goose?
Mash?
The Seven Samurai?
Mr Roberts?
Boy in the Striped Pajamas? OK and finally
The Russians Are Coming!

I'll go away now. Bill

This is getting harder and harder to limit to only ten. I'd forgotten about The Blue Max (one of George Peppard's finer roles) and Hells Angels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back