Train Collision

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
No injuries, believe it or not.

Watch the crewman on the approaching train jump for it!

Attachments

• Train collision.wmv
    6.9 MB · Views: 90
Yeah very lucky, however I'd hate to be the guy who ran the red signal. I betcha his balls got fried for that.

You noticed that too Wild. Driver of camera train run a red at first level crossing and failed to decress speed. Where was the ATS or the controller saying train had spadded the level crossing signal. SPAD means Signal Passed At Danger

You noticed that too Wild. Driver of camera train run a red at first level crossing and failed to decress speed. Where was the ATS or the controller saying train had spadded the level crossing signal. SPAD means Signal Passed At Danger

I will dig up the NTSB report on the crash, but the 'camera" train was not at fault.

The other train (the one where the guys jumped out) was to blame. They creeped past the stop point.

I will dig up the NTSB report on the crash, but the 'camera" train was not at fault.

The other train (the one where the guys jumped out) was to blame. They creeped past the stop point.

Sorry Sys call it as I see it. Camera Train had one red signal at level crossing and again at points where accident occured. If NTSB has same signaling as us camera train definitely at fault in my opinion as I saw red signals. And hell why didn't the Cabin Controller alert both trains of impending accident. Must have been failure of RTC (remote train control signals

I also thought the other train was at fault, if you look just before the collision, the road is set for the camera train to enter what looks like a siding. My first thoughts was the other train had the SPAD, as like Sys says you can see it is only approaching slowly, like he over ran the signal. Either that or saome one in the control office seriously f*cked up!

You look at first approach signal level crossing damn sure its red Wild. Unless I am seeing things appears red to me. Second train spadded its signal as well. Can only assume major signal problems

You look at first approach signal level crossing damn sure its red Wild. Unless I am seeing things appears red to me. Second train spadded its signal as well. Can only assume major signal problems

Yeah I had another look, and I agree. It does appear to be a red the camera train runs though at the first crossing, however he has a green at the signal just before the collision (however it goes red just before he passes it, technically a SPAD?) and like I said ealier the road was definately set for the camera train to enter the siding, which makes me think if the camera train was in the wrong, why was the track set against the other train?
Another thing, if Sys is right saying the other train was found to be at fault, wouldn't this mean that all the signals were functioning correctly? As I understand it, when a SPAD occurs the signals are examined?
I'm confused!!:confused:

Unless a complete signal failure Wild but they would or should automatically set de- fault to red in any direction as I understand signalling. or maybe Wild it was done on purpose to illustrate a train crash. They have been conducted before. Why would the driver of fireman have a video going any way as it would distract from signal observation. It doesn't make sense why the driver of the 2nd train would disregard his signal knowing full well it goes from 2 tracks to one 200 metres beyond the points and his signal would be red etc. he came foul of the loop line. Which makes me believe Wild it was done for a reason and wasn't an accident but a contrived event

Same here Wild but until such time going with contrived Train Crash. I saw 2 reds signals Wild approach to level crossing and later it defaults to red near points. And why the train driver of video train didn't apply brakes immediately. And his ATS or ATW didn't apply or was turned off. The 2nd train was a light engine no coaches or carriages etc. Most confusing. One thing where is this train accident ??????

Im not very up on Australian signaling so I assume the lower aspect on the Junction signal is a call on route indication and the upper a normal running signal.
if so the approaching train occupies the overlap track of his junction protecting signal this caused the green signal to revert back to red. Before that happened the camera train had a proceed signal into the passing loop and this would indicate that the points ( HW 2000 or 1000 machine by the looks of it) had detection.
So to me it appears that the approaching unit has past at least one signal at red possible two depending on the layout that is adopted in Australia for junction signaling. If it is normal to have an automatic warning system (I assume ATW is the same as our AWS) he would have had to acknowledged it at least twice or more likely 3 times so it appears from the film that the camera train had the road and route set correctly and the approaching train SPAD at least 1 possible 2 red signals.
If the system is SSI (solid state Interlocking) a simple tape download will reveal what happened.
As for the level Xing earlier in the sequence, why he passed the red signal beats me. If the Xing had failed it's normal to pass at extreme caution so why he went over at what looked like line speed I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back