Trash Talking, USMC Style

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
I stumbled across this and laughed.

http://realitywired.com/marine-fa-18-pilot-taunts-iran-air-traffic-control/

Marine FA-18 Pilot Taunts Iran Air Traffic Control

You gotta love these guys. In addition to communicating with the local Air Traffic Control facility, all aircraft in the Persian Gulf AOR are required to give the Iranian Air Defence Radar (military) a ten minute 'heads up' if they will be transiting Iranian airspace.

This is a common procedure for commercial aircraft and involves giving them your call sign, transponder code, type aircraft, and points of origin and destination.

The following is a conversation apparently overheard on the VHF Guard (emergency) frequency 121.5 MHz while flying from Europe to Dubai.

Whether it's real or made up doesn't matter, it'll still make you snicker and grin.

Iranian Air Defence Radar: 'Unknown aircraft you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself.'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace.'

Iranian Air Defence Radar: 'You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States Marine Corps FA-18 fighter. Send 'em up, I'll wait!'

Iranian Air Defence Radar: (no response … total silence)

Last edited:
Would Iran send fighters to intercept if this really happened?

Iran still operates F-4s, and still had 25 F-14s operational in 2012, both are a great deal faster than a F/A-18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back