Trees and bushes...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Was a bit bored here.....did some scribbling. :oops: :lol:

DSCF0001-24.jpg

Apart from a lot of trees, given that you're aiming for 1/48th scale (?), that's going to be about 5 feet by 2 feet at least! Holy moly!!

Would be an interesting thing to do...! Now, which JG? :lol: The two pics with the road base are Dora-9's from 7./JG26 if I remember correctly...
Who else besides JG26 operated from road bases like this? As long as there's a "13" to fit in there, any JG will do me.....Late '109, '190A,F or G or D. 8)

That 'road base' could very well be Reinsehlen, but there were a number, which looked like clearings in a forest, with a road running across it. The latter was a hard runway, with the taxi tracks around the edge of the 'clearing', running off onto 'dirt' tracks in the forest, where the dispersals were.
Some of the French bases were similar, such as Guipavas, and others would utilise the nearby woods, copses etc, with the taxi tracks leading to the airfield itself.
If it will help, I still have a NATO map used on a big exercise in Germany, in '73, which shows Reinsehlen, which I can copy for you.

No problem old boy! I'll do it later tonight, after I've squirted some more coloured stuff on the the old Zerstorer!

Here you are old chap!
The first pic shows the general area of what used to be Reinsehlen airfield, on the edge of the Langeloh Forest, Luneberg Heath, north west Germny. The map is a British issue NATO chart, from 1973, printed 1969, when the former airfield was a training camp; far as I know, it still is, although used by Engineers and Armoured units, and has changed a lot since the '70's.
The purple lines, mostly following roads, mark various boundaries, for training purposes, as a lot of the area is a nature reserve, out of bounds to troops.
The enlargement shows the airfield/camp itself, with the broken purple line, and part of a red line, following the roads. During the war, the roads crossing the centre of the clearing were the runways.
As the area on the map is pink, it isn't that easy to see how the whole airfield just merged with the surroundings, but, from the air, it just looked like a large forest clearing. Notice the roads running around the perimeter, which just look natural, like any other road, due to the way the field was laid out. Rather clever, don't you think?
From what I remember, these minor roads were block-paved, and there were some similarly paved short tracks running off at intervals, which I believe were dispersals. Also, only just discernible on the map, there were/are some tracks running into the forest, mostly overgrown when I was there, certainly on the northern and western boundaries. These led to dispersals in the forest itself, as seen in the pics you posted. I didn't get a chance to check the other areas, or see much of the above mentioned areas, due mainly to time restrictions (I was taking part in a major NATO exercise, and, a couple of days later, the poo hit the wirling thing, as the Arab - Israeli war started, the Sovs looked like mobilising, we were on immediate readiness, and it looked as if WW3 was about to happen!), plus some areas were out of bounds to 'squaddies'.
I recently 'googled' Reinsehlen, when doing the 'Gustav' diorama,and found some aerial pics of the place. Although it looks like some of the forest has now been cut back, you can still get an idea of what it was like.
Hope this helps old fruit.
Toodle pip and all that rot, what?!!

Attachments

• A Map.jpg
    A Map.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 72
  • A Map 001.jpg
    A Map 001.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 77
Jolly good show old scout! Does the young kind sirs want a dahing cup of tea, eh, can't beat a good cuppa, bucks you up! Puts a bit of zip into you. What I mean is, restores you, and so on, don't you know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back