Undersea WWII bombs threaten marine life

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This "problem" extends to almost any body of water, anywhere in the
world. How many ships have been sunk with un-exploded ordnance on
board ????

Charles

Better than threatening human life like the unexploded bombs that continue to be unearthed in Europe and elsewhere.

TO

I notice how this article settles around Vieques. That's been a sore spot for the USN and envionmentalists for years. Even folks from Puerto Rico want the navy to stop bombing practice in that area.

Yeah, definitely some Political BS going on there. The PR complained about the bombing range and the military stopped bombing. But when they didn't have the range anymore, they didn't need Rosie Rhodes either. Shut that down. Caused a huge stink. Admiral's reply to the politicals was, "You were quiet during the protest, this is pretty much what you get". Navy pulled out.

Now they're pestering the govt about the bombs left there. No doubt they'll get them out, but the Govt oughta take it's time.

Heard from guys who've been down to V. that it's a hole. Real rats nest. Also said the real kick about the range was the town had nowhere to expand and the locals wanted the land. Not sure how much I believe about the last one but I do believe it's a rough place.

Ah yes, Rosie Rhodes and NGFS training off Vieques, the memories.......:rolleyes:

The Australians would come up there now and again to do some missle shoots. Bit of a sail but they did it. Anyway, rumor was if you let the Australians take the missle into the drone and get a hard hit (usually, they were supposed to break the lock just before the missle hit so the drone could be used for multiple missle shots in an afternoon), they'd send over a case of beer.

But then again, that was only a rumor.

This "problem" extends to almost any body of water, anywhere in the
world. How many ships have been sunk with un-exploded ordnance on
board ????

Charles

Have a read of this, this particular WWII wreck continues to be a severe hazard to this day:

SS Richard Montgomery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is uncertain whether removing the munitions would be safe - similar operations in the past have failed with serious consequences, as mentioned in the above article.

It's a real Catch-22, a recovery operation might detonate the munitions, but then they might spontaneously detonate if left alone for long enough. Either way, it's not going to be pretty if they do go off....

It's a real Catch-22, a recovery operation might detonate the munitions, but then they might spontaneously detonate if left alone for long enough. Either way, it's not going to be pretty if they do go off....

How close is it to any towns or cities, because I was confused on where the ship was.

It's sat in the the Thames Estuary, having beached on the Isle of Sheppey. I can't find a map, but type 'Sheerness' into Google Earth and look for a point of interest in the estuary about two miles north of the town. It isn't far from London at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back