Underside light blue color of the Spitfire MkII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
Can you please help me on identifying the correct Model Master enamel color of light blue for the underside of the Spitfire MkII? I have a color called Raf P.R.U. Blue, but it does not have a specific identification number and it seems to be a bit too dark.

PRU Blue would not be right for the standard day fighter scheme as it was typically used over the entire surface of Photo Reconnaissance Unit (PRU) aircraft. Assuming you're going with the standard scheme with Dark Earth and Dark Green on top, I'd go with Model Master's "Sky Type S".

Yes , Crimea River is right. It should be the Sky S-type. However the colour is of greenish tonality. The one of the blue hue was called Duck Egg Blue. Samples below....

And comparing of Humbrol 23 Duck Egg Blue and Humbrol 90 Sky S-type

131184868023.jpg
131184936990.jpg

Testors/Model Master Acryl Paint RAF Sky Type S ANA 610 (Flat) - 4840

model-master-acrylic-raf-sky-type-s-ana610.jpg

or

Testors/Model Master II Enamel Flat RAF Sky "Type S" ANA610 - 2049

model-master-ii-enamel-flat-raf-sky-type-s-ana610.jpg

Testors/Model Master Acrylic Flat Duck Egg Blue FS35622 - 4748

model-master-acrylic-flat-duck-egg-blue-fs35622.jpg

or

Testors/Model Master Enamel Duck Egg Blue FS35622 - 1722

model-master-military-enamel-duck-egg-blue-fs35622.jpg

And the two colours suggested in my references by FS numbers... FS 34504 for Duck Egg Blue and FS34583 for Sky S-type.

DEB.jpg
Sky S.jpg

Humbrol 65 is much too blue for Sky. Humbrol 90 is probably closest. You need to add something to make it greener.
Steve

I agree with Steve. I think you can try to mix a small amount of the H65 and a drop of a yellow one, Then check its tonality. If it is too greenish add some of a white paint. If it is not try to add some of yellow and white if needed.

Here you are an old picture with both Humbrol 90 and 23 applied on Spitfire undersides. The left is painted with the H90 and the right one with the H23.

97932.jpg

If you can't get the correct paint, then, using the image of the Humbrol tin of 'Sky' as a guide, lighten the 65 with white until it is a very pale blue, then add a spot of yellow and a spot of green (any green) until you get an approximation to 'Sky'. It's much easier with an actual sample to work from though, and easier still if you can get the correct paint or equivalent to Humbrol numbers. As you presumably haven't built the kit yet, then the painting stage is some way off, so might be worthwhile shopping around and obtaining the correct shade.

Yep... it is the way you can follow as well. However the H65 is a kind of blue colour that mixed with yellow should give the mixture a green one.

I'm not getting this, In the first post, you asked for a Model Master enamel colour. Well, MM ,make a good Sky Type S and you need no mixing. Here's a pic of my Mk II with MM undersides.

Attachments

• 1011110 11 oclock low close.jpg
    1011110 11 oclock low close.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 613
Last edited:
I am almost done with the spit and it has the light blueish grin color that resembles what some of you have posted. Something tells me by the pic of the spit that has been posted it should be a lot paler.

Not much I can do about it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back