United States Aircraft Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
nationalmarkings.jpg
Size and placements of B-17 markings and insignia's

Micdrow

Source:
The Mighty Eight Warpaint Heraldry
by Roger A Freeman

Last edited:
I believe I read years ago that Grumman F6F Hellcats each came from the factory with six Japanese flag Kill decal/stickers as a morale booster.this was an idea originated by the Grumman team.
Obviously, a carrier would accumulate a stock of stickers and they would be available and used instead of hand painting kill markings. I have read where modelers wondered why the kill markings seemed so consistent.

I read that in PTO several P-40Ks and P400s were painted coral brown. Everthing on the island was painted coral by the Engrs. Does anyone know if this is the same as Desert Pink used on the B-24s and Spitfires or more of a Desert Sand? I found a P-40 and a P-400 in the discount bin and was thinking of making one.

DBII

I think the coral brown was a kind of earth-brown with the sand one.I have found these somewhere in the net.So maybe it can help.

Attachments

• Landers_P40E_0021_3_13_Cropped_2.jpg
    Landers_P40E_0021_3_13_Cropped_2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,184
  • 0017(l).jpg
    0017(l).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,166
I knew you would have something. I have always wanted to make a model of Texas Longhorn. I am very color blind. What are the tiles below the profile? I like the first tile on the top left.

DBII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back