United States Aircraft Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

While watching the WW2 produced film on the "Black Cats" PBY Catalinas in the Pacific, I took a screenshot of this J2F Duck that was in the background in one scene. Could it have been an all-black Duck?
adj 21_QDLURKCW.jpg

We all know the story of the gloss black finish on P-61 Black Widows. I wonder why Douglas P-70 night fighters did not go to gloss black? Even the B-29s over Japan appear to have used dull black. I guess the P-82 (F-82) twin Mustangs were gloss though. Has anyone info on an official order for gloss black for night camo?

Hi Maxrobot,

It was all a matter of timing. Flat black was the earlier camouflage. This was then found to be no better than Neutral Gray, so the standard camouflage became OD over gray in autumn 1943. Further testing proved that overall Jet Black (like patent leather glossy) was the ultimate, so later P-61s, P-82 NFs, and all night bombers (including those B-29s) were glossy black. There were even a few P-70B NF trainers in Jet black.

Cheers,

Dana

The gloss black lacquer "jet 622" appears on P61C
Before end 1944, P61A & B was painted with black enamel "Wiblack".
The gloss black Jet 622 finish was applied only on aircraft those primary mission was conducted by night.
P70 was antecedent to Jet 622 and B29 was not specific night bomber.
Note, on ac already paint in black dull finish, the jet 622 was not necessary applied on upper surface,
so it is difficult to see on the pics the difference of these two shade on P70 or P61.

The gloss black lacquer "jet 622" appears on P61C
Before end 1944, P61A & B was painted with black enamel "Wiblack".
The gloss black Jet 622 finish was applied only on aircraft those primary mission was conducted by night.
P70 was antecedent to Jet 622 and B29 was not specific night bomber.
Note, on ac already paint in black dull finish, the jet 622 was not necessary applied on upper surface,
so it is difficult to see on the pics the difference of these two shade on P70 or P61.

Hi Waroff,

Are you certain that Wiblack wasn't a commercial name for ANA 622 Jet? The October 1944 tests and orders called for a special jet black that was subsequently designated ANA 622.

Cheers,

Dana

Question - Did USN yellow wing utility aircraft have wing chevrons? Did they have the colored cowls of three-plane sections ? I ask because I want my model of the Grumman Duck to be accurate. it is painted in the markings of I-J-23 VJ-1 1939 in Hawaii. the Curtiss Hawk is for comparison.
Duck and Hawk 01.jpg

Question - Did USN yellow wing utility aircraft have wing chevrons? Did they have the colored cowls of three-plane sections ? I ask because I want my model of the Grumman Duck to be accurate. it is painted in the markings of I-J-23 VJ-1 1939 in Hawaii. the Curtiss Hawk is for comparison.View attachment 763713

The JV-1 paited the tail with the green FS 14187 (ANA503) Willow Green. For the JF-1 , the wooden "nose" of the main float was painted of the same green colour. The JF-2 of the unit don't seem to have the float front painted. The metal parts of the plane were painted with the light grey colour while parts covered with a fabric silver. If there were the section markings ... I didn't find any pics of the JV-1 Ducks with the kind of markings. The only shot of the I-J-23 is below .. but it seems it was taken at the mid of the 30'.

JV-1 Duck.jpg

the source: the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back