United States Aircraft Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey Bill N4521U N4521U Outta camp tonight and I'll go through the books. Are you an aircraft specific or just in general?
I am trying to establish what Letters and Numbers were used by both USN ans USAAF with 45 degree corners, WWII.
I am suspecting they were the same. I have found the ratio, specific to B-17 serials, of 15" height, 10" wide, 2-1/2" stroke.
I want to make sure this is correct for both services. The diagrams posted here have been Modern versions, jets, helos etc.
There are differences in shapes from Fonts available to diagrams I have found. Heated discussions all over the web.
If I could find official documents that would be fan-tas-tic!!!!
Thanks for the offer, much appreciated.

As memo serves at the beginning of the war the US lettering and numbering was of the 12" of the"block style" (edges canted 45°). The national insignia on the fuselage between trailing edge of the wing and leading edge of the horizontal stabiliser, size 24 inches. The serial number on the fin, model designation centered on the rudder in the same hight as the serial with lettering 1 inch.
In Autumn 1942 introduced the numbering determined by the squadron, numbers of white , size variable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back