United States Aircraft Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great stuff Wojtek. I had the info somewhere, but not sure where, and had to go up to Yorkshire today anyway, so no chance to search.

Many thanks Wojtek! General regulations are quite useful.

I found a description for applying markings on P-51:
*** CRAZY HORSE AVIATION PHOTOGRAPHY ***

Positioning of the National insignia on the P-51 Mustang:

On both sides of the fuselage, the middle of the insignia was positioned at 11'0"" from the end of the rudder
On the wings, the center of the insignia was positioned at 55.5" from the wingtips
The diameter of the central blue circle containing the five-pointed white star was supposed to have a 36 inch diameter fuselage circle and a 35 inch wing marking. Same for both B/C and D-models.

But I'm aware to follow with these rules. I think some mistakes occurred in the text. Looking at the pictures: the wing markings seems is too small and fuselage star position too close to the end of rudder.

I would be very grateful for pointing me such information about P-51, as I saw earlier on this topic for B-17, Avenger etc...

P51 A: wing: roundel D 46" at 56" 1/2 from wing tip and 24" aileron cutout - Fuselage roundel D 46 at 169" 1/2 of trailing edge rudder
P51B&C: wing: roundel+bar, D 35" at 56" 1/2 from wing tip and 24" aileron cutout; Fuselage roundel D 30" centered Sta 211* & horizontal ref.
P51D: wing: roundel+bar, D 35" at 24" from wing tip splice line and 24" aileron cutout - Fuselage roundel D 30" centered Sta 211* & horizontal ref.
P51H: wing: roundel+bar, D 35" centered station 161 and tangent cutout - Fuselage roundel D 40" centered Sta 266 & WL -6" 1/2(below horiz ref).

Insignia P51 B C & D : D= diameter containing the star ; lenght of bar = D/2 ; outline constant 2"
Insignia P51 H : D= dia of star ; lenght of bar = D/2 ; outline constant 2"1/2

* or 116" from rudder cutout

Last edited:
Anybody ever see a Duck painted like this?

Duck.jpg

I'm posting this for those of you with an interest in the USAAF combat insignia and aircraft tactical markings of WWII. The final work in this Schiffer Military series, Vol.VII is scheduled to be out sometime next year.

'BC'_SeriesI-VI.jpg

As memory serves the Marine squadrons used the endings of the serials for ID number of a/c. The number could be painted at a couple of different areas depending on a squadron. But it doesn't seems to be the rule. Here is the Kenneth Walsh's F-4U-1 BuNo 02350 coded White 13 for instance.

View attachment 283972

View attachment 283976

Looks like the 13 is painted over a shamrock

I found this interesting article about Olive Drab and while it is mostly about tanks, there is some mention of USAAF.
http://mojobob.com/stuff/Zaloga - Olive Drab.pdf
Although the USAAF started using Olive Drab Colour No. 22 Olive Drab on their aircraft, it was felt that this colour was too light. As a result, starting in 1932, the USAAF began to adopt a dark Olive Drab, that is, darker than the Army Ground Forces Olive Drab. This dark Olive Drab was first known as Colour Number 31 for the water based camouflage paints. In October 1940, it was standardised as Dark Olive Drab 41 for dopes, enamels, and lacquers.

As part of this process, in January 1943, Major A.I. Totten Jr. of the Army Resources and Production Division proposed to consolidate the two shades of Olive Drab in use at the time, the USAAF dark Olive Drab and the AGF Olive Drab, into a new colour Army/Navy (AN) 319, that was the same colour as the AGF Olive Drab. The Air Force went a bit nuts over this, as in 1942, they had developed a new paint formulation of their dark Olive Drab that would not show up well on infrared film. The AGF Olive Drab paint did not have this characteristic. As a result, the USAAF studiously avoided use of the new 319 Olive Drab. This issue may seem irrelevant to tank modellers. But it is an important issue since it helps demolish a popular myth amongst some modellers and vehicle restorers. A legend has developed over the years that the light 319 Olive Drab was also adopted by the AGF, so that after 1943, the Army began painting their tanks and tactical vehicles in a lighter shade of Olive Drab. This was not the case, as the aeronautical 319 Olive Drab was identical in colour to standard AGF Olive Drab, and was only light in comparison to the USAAF dark Olive Drab.

If I read this correctly, it seems that from 32 to 43 USAAF OD was darker then AGF, afterward it was the same. He also talks about weathering, and scale effect.

Hi PlasticHero,

Just to be clear, OD 319 was the Army color in the May 1943 issue of Spec 3-1. The ANA color (from the June 1943 edition) was OD 613. The two are nearly identical - only the number is changed to protect the innocent...

Cheers,

Dana

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back