United States Aircraft Markings (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey Bill N4521U N4521U Outta camp tonight and I'll go through the books. Are you an aircraft specific or just in general?
I am trying to establish what Letters and Numbers were used by both USN ans USAAF with 45 degree corners, WWII.
I am suspecting they were the same. I have found the ratio, specific to B-17 serials, of 15" height, 10" wide, 2-1/2" stroke.
I want to make sure this is correct for both services. The diagrams posted here have been Modern versions, jets, helos etc.
There are differences in shapes from Fonts available to diagrams I have found. Heated discussions all over the web.
If I could find official documents that would be fan-tas-tic!!!!
Thanks for the offer, much appreciated.
 
As memo serves at the beginning of the war the US lettering and numbering was of the 12" of the"block style" (edges canted 45°). The national insignia on the fuselage between trailing edge of the wing and leading edge of the horizontal stabiliser, size 24 inches. The serial number on the fin, model designation centered on the rudder in the same hight as the serial with lettering 1 inch.
In Autumn 1942 introduced the numbering determined by the squadron, numbers of white , size variable.
 
1736852413181.png


 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You know, I was thinking. I could not recall seeing a photo of a Douglas A-20 in bare metal finish. Did any leave the production line in "silver" finish?
 
You know, I was thinking. I could not recall seeing a photo of a Douglas A-20 in bare metal finish. Did any leave the production line in "silver" finish?
The only one I have seen that was unpainted from the factory, was A-20 (no suffix) s/n 39-735.
It was technically a DB-7 that was being used to test upgrades for production and they even tested a turbo-supercharger setup on it's engines.
 
Thanks guys!
I was wondering if the production line was winding down in late '43 early '44 when the paint finish was being discontinued on other types.
I know that Stateside assigned aircraft did not require OD paint earlier.
 
When did the USAAF change from National insignia on top and bottom of both wings and the tail stripes to no tail stripes, fuselage National insignia and no insignia on upper Starboard wing and under Port wing? Some time in 1941?
The U.S. Navy and the Army did not agree and standardize until much later. 1943?
 
The National "fin flash" was dropped by spring 1942, about the same time the "meatball" was dropped.

As far as the "roundel" placement goes, the USAAC adopted the "top left, bottom right" configuration in February 1941 based on the assumption that an enemy would use the division between the two roundels as an aim point.

The USN followed suit about two years later.
 
The Army first tested assymmetrical national wing insignia positions in 1921, but didn't introduce them until summer 1940, and then for camouflaged aircraft only. The specs were updated that October. I've seen Navy correspondence making the same change around the same time, but I haven't yet found the official adaptation memo for the two-only wing insignia. Again, un-camouflaged aircraft continued to carry four wing insignia.

Around Christmas 1941, Navy units in the Pacific were ordered to add two more wing insignia to improve recognition; this applied to Army aircraft based in Navy theaters, especially the Central Pacific. Similar additions also occurred to Army aircraft in the Middle East and North West Africa in 1942.

In 1926 the Army decided to change their three r/w/b rudder stripes to vertical blue with 13 horizontal red and white stripes. The Navy declined the change, reasoning that their aircraft would soon all carry colored unit tail markings. This meant that when Navy aircraft didn't have unit tail colors, they continued to wear the three vertical stripes.

To improve recognition of camouflaged friendly aircraft, both services introduced the aft fuselage star in mid-1940. At the same time, the Army dropped any form of rudder striping on camouflaged aircraft.

This changed in late 1941 when the Navy introduced horizontal red and white rudder stripes (no blue stripes) for aircraft operating in their Pacific theaters. Again, Army aircraft in Navy theaters added the new markings.

The rudder stripes were deleted from all aircraft, including uncamouflaged aircraft, in May/June 1942.

The two wing star standard was returned for ALL aircraft in mid-1943.

That's the simple version of the story - there are a lot of oddities and exceptions still to flesh out the details...

Cheers,


Dana
 
Thanks guys!
I had a good book on the USN marking system but the Army styles were confusing. I see now that the operating theater was a factor.
 
I stumbled across this Nice photo of an OS2U-3 Kingfisher in Anti-sub scheme of white and gull grey. I think it looks nice. It was taken at NAS Banana rive - no date given The "bomb" contains the body of a mascot named "Skippy" The Kingfisher is as clean as a whistle!
NARA-RG80-G82602_640.jpg Banana river USN jpg.png
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back