Unknown Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jeven

Recruit
Mar 16, 2012
I have been winging My neck to try and Identify this desk top USAF model. Any Airplane buffs out there with any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks now, ahead time, and after!

Attachments

• bp2.JPG
    bp2.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 115
  • bp4.JPG
    bp4.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 106
Thanks a million. You guys are good!

This would be in the late 60's but I remember in college being in a math class with a classmate who was back from Viet Nam having served in the Air Force. I wanted to know what sort of planes they had at the base where he served. "B-57's", he said. "We had some big wing ones too."

I didn't then know what a big wing B-57 was and I didn't want to act stupid so I didn't ask. It was a spy plane with much larger wings attached beyond the engine nacelles – pretty much a larger version of a U-2.

Last edited:
There was 2 models of the 'big wing', the RB-57D with square wing tips (106' span) and the RB-57F with rounded wing tips (122' span and turbofan engines). The RB-57F is said to be able to reach 90,000-100,000' altitude.

barney, I would guess your classmate saw RB-57Ds.

revell have released a limited addition B57 kit out at the moment,i will post pics of it once i've downloaded them for any interested in these

The B-57 evolved into the RB-57 and ultimately into a NASA high altitude research aircraft. The process certainly transformed the look of the orginal aircraft! Full pressure space suits necessary for flight above about 65,000 feet. Hoping such flights become a commercial possibility. Be a great ride to the edge of space!

Attachments

• RB-57.jpg
    RB-57.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 535361main_w_equip_operators_full.jpg
    535361main_w_equip_operators_full.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 928_Desktop.jpg
    928_Desktop.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread