Unknown airplane crashes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B 25 Mitchell did not fight in the area where the plane crashed. Only Douglas A-20 Havoc and Consolidated B-24 Liberator.

To be honest it isn't true I'm afraid. In 1944 B-25s of the 4GwAKDD were moved to Konotop ( Ukraina ) and later to Winnica airfield. These planes took part in air raids on Constanța harbour and other Romanian cities. The bombers were used for supporting and delivering supplies for the Jugoslav partisans and the National Liberation Army and Partisan Detachments of Yugoslavia. In the mid of 1944 the 5GwBAD started intensification of such flights. I think their air routes must have run over Romania. Another example of using the B-25 planes is the Jassy–Kishinev offensive. As you may know the most moved frontline to the West was the line between Barlad, Bacau and Piatra Neamt. Does it sound familiar for the crash area?

My pleasure. The black kolour on the amber light really suggests a plane with black undersides. A such colour was used by the ADD bombers usually. I haven't seen any pictires with a soviet A-20 having black undersides. Contrary to that .... B-25J of unknown russian squadron with black colour on bottom surfaces.

The pic source: the net.

B-25J.jpg

Does anyone know where are positioned Identification / navigation lights on B 25 Mitchell?

The post #36 and 37 by GrauGeist and Fubar57 on the prevoius page...

From the "North American B-25 Mitchell Bomber Pilot's Flight Operating Manual; By United States Army Air Force", page 37.
Recognition Lights - The recognition lights comprise of a white lamp on the upper surface of the fuselage above the radio compartment, and red, green and amber lamps on the lower surface of the right wingtip. A bank of 4 toggle switches on the left side of the pilot's control pedestal operates the lamps in any desired combination. They can be set to burn continuously or to flash off and on by means of a keying switch on the toggle switch box.

Capture1.JPG

and here a close up shot ... found at MID-ATLANTIC AIR MUSEUM - B-25J 'BRIEFING TIME' WALK-AROUND

b25_exterior_14.jpg

b25_exterior_14a.jpg

Last edited:
Judging by these inscriptions on the part it is the ammo feed motor by Hughes Aircraft Company, Hollywood, CA. A such one was used for B-25 plane too.

300302.jpg

Ammo feeds by Huges Aircraft.JPG

Last edited:
Great stuff Wojtek, and great pics of the 'step motor', or 'booster'. The fitting of these, or similar motors, to the P-51 ammo train solved the feed problems encountered in the early days.

Yep.. you are right Terry. Here in the diagram for B-25 ammo feeding system for the tail gunnery station it is marked as the number 3 and 7 - the right and left gun booster motor chute. The number 1 is the N-8A gunsight.

B-25 ammo feeding sys.jpg

This discovery should be pretty exciting and might need to be better documented, as the Russians only operated 870 B-25s compared to roughly 2,700 A-20s (3,414 delivered, not all entered service)

Heck, I hadn't realised they had that many B-25's - I thought they only had a relative 'hand full', 50 or so.
Joe is that 'Hughes Tool Company' as in Howard Hughes ?

Heck, I hadn't realised they had that many B-25's - I thought they only had a relative 'hand full', 50 or so.
They had the B, D, G and J variants - more of the latter. They pretty much used the B-25 as they did the A-20, for close support air attack. They also had several of the U.S. operated B-25s that were "interned", including the only airworthy survivor of the Doolittle raid.
Joe is that 'Hughes Tool Company' as in Howard Hughes ?
I know I'm not Joe, but the answer would be yes, although it was founded by Howard's dad, Howard Hughes senior. Howard jr. inherited the company after his dad's passing (1920's, if I remember correctly).

All good - I think some of the original buildings at the Hollywood facility are still there. The Culver City plant also made machined parts and components (as some of those components were marked). Building 15 is where the Spruce Goose was built. I think its still there.

I wonder if the site is a dump, rather than a crash site. Looking at the propeller shaft, it is hard to imagine someone completely disassembling the motor to remove the shaft and all its attached parts. Even the most sever crash would not leave a shaft so 'naked'.
shaft.jpg

Also re the B25 supplied to Russia, where they not the series that had no rear guns installed, but did have the dorsal turret?
Cheers.

Thanks, David and Joe.
I was tending to think along the same lines, WW2 Restorer. The parts all seem to be 'clean', as regards their 'isolation' from the rest of the overall 'assembly' - a dump would certainly be a possibility, but a good find nonetheless.

The purpose our forum has been set for , isn't the commerce . We don't allow to sell anything here. So please follow the rule. I'm sure there are other boards that can be used for trading and buying of such items. I would have a look around the net there should be such ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back