Unofficial Bf 109-x GB: 1/48 Bf 109G-10 ERLA (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Username: Ralph Haus
First name: Ralph
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Eduard (kit 84174)
Model: Bf 109 G-10 ERLA Scale: 1/48

Decisions, decisions! I wanted to add one more build to the 109 entries list and looking at the stash of 1/48s, all Eduard's, I have this G-10 ERLA, a G10-WNF, E-1, F-4 and the K-4 Kurfurst. The G-10 ERLA won out only due to the camo challenge option when doing the Italian conversion.

109G-10 Erla.jpg

The Eduard image of the 'conversion'. I suppose the 'proper' way to do this would be to mask and paint the wing and fuselage crosses and then over paint. Seeing that the crosses will not have to be 'perfect' this may be a unique challenge? However, should not some of the original be showing" There is a hint to this in the port fuselage Eduard image where the access door is?

We'll see when I get to that stage.

Camo Choice.jpg

Nice little challenge and a good and different subject. :thumbright::D

That is a good site George, I've had it on my list for a long time now. :thumbright:

Plumbing to nowhere - or not?

I'm doing the G-10 Italian conversion version of this kit. Looking at the options for all but the Italian one there is either the auxiliary fuel tank or just the framing to hold one illustrated. The Italian illustration shows neither.

Tank Question.jpg

Then my question is, should the cockpit contain the fuel exchange plumbing; U6?

Plumbing.jpg

Unless the aircraft was a hand me down from Luftwaffe operations and the piping has been left in rather than being removed and patched, I would think not. It all depends on the history of your airframe. :thumbright::D

I would leave it in. The flexibility to add the drop tank gear in the field would have relied on the correct plumbing to be in place in my opinion. I don't think the factory plumbing would have been easily removed.

Here a couple of shots of the kite. In the fourth image it ca be noticed that although the bottom rack was detached, the connecting pieces of the fuel pipe lines were still there. So I agree with Andy. The the fuel plumbing in the cockpit should be there.

View attachment 771058

The source: Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana 1 Gruppo
Wurger, Crimea River and the Modeler Task Force, inspecting aircraft details as part of Forum duties, verifying a build.
I love the corroborating evidence provided.

Back with some progress. Other than the stolen few minutes to look in I've not been able to do much of anything model or comment wise. For me, April was not the best month yet this year.

I have gotten to lay down the basic colors and patterns; an interesting build given the over spray done by the Italians creating yet another layer of detail.

109G-10 SB first paint.jpg

109G-10 Port R first paint.jpg

109G-10 bottom first paint.jpg

Sorry to hear it's not being a good month for you Ralph but good to see you pop in if only for a moment. I was wondering where you had got too and I'm liking the 109, it looks good. :thumbright::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back