USA Lend-Lease f4U Corsair to Russia?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yaldy

Recruit
Jan 11, 2006
Crofton, MD
Does anyone know anything about the US giving Russia any F4U Corsairs during World War 2?

The reason I ask - A person claimed to have met a Hero of the Soviet Union who flew a Corsair with 55 kills.

I was skeptical and said, "I"m not sure about this..."

Any help, knowledge, or comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I do not believe any navy types (fighters or bombers) were lend-leased to the USSR.

However, it is possible that they may have picked up some post-war Corsairs from a US ally such as China or Cuba? I'd be suprised however if any were flown in combat.

=S=

Lunatic

The planes that were supplied to them I believe were and feel free to add what I did not put:

DC-3
P-63
P-39
P-40

I know there are more types, I just can not recall them off the top of my head at the moment.

Total lend lease to the Soviet Union in WW2 by the US:

Aircraft.............................14,795
Tanks.................................7,056
Jeeps................................51,503
Trucks..............................375,883
Motorcycles..........................35,170
Tractors..............................8,071
Guns..................................8,218
Machine guns........................131,633
Explosives..........................345,735 tons
Building equipment valued.......$10,910,000
Railroad freight cars................11,155
Locomotives...........................1,981
Cargo ships..............................90
Submarine hunters.......................105
Torpedo boats...........................197
Ship engines..........................7,784
Food supplies.....................4,478,000 tons
Machines and equipment.......$1,078,965,000
Noniron metals......................802,000 tons
Petroleum products................2,670,000 tons
Chemicals...........................842,000 tons
Cotton..........................106,893,000 tons
Leather..............................49,860 tons
Tires.............................3,786,000
Army boots.......................15,417,000 pairs

I belive they got some B-25s. It also wouldn't suprise me if they got a few Corsairs though I would be very suprised if there were enough to fly in combat. Over the years I've seen pictures of most WWII types in Russian colors though many were 1s or 2s from crashed/captured aircraft.

wmaxt

The reason I ask - A person claimed to have met a Hero of the Soviet Union who flew a Corsair with 55 kills.

[/quote]

What was the name of this gallant man that heroically defended Rodina. My point is that strange things happened in WWII. If you can get the name of the pilot there are a lot of databases that have the aces names with the type of aircraft they flew. But I agree with the others, no Corsairs to the USSR during lend lease.

:{)

I dont recall Corsiars going to Russia, maybe some that were lost in Korea went to the Russians from the N. Koreans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back