USAAF Squadron and Aircraft Assigned for a given date

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

oldcrowcv63

Tech Sergeant
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast North Carolina
Folks,

Anyone know of a resource that lists USAAF squadrons and the aircraft type assigned it through a given date? I am particularly interested in the PTO and MTO and the types including model variant. In other words and for example, The USAAF 7th, 8th and 9th Fighter Squadrons of the 49th Fighter Group in Australia flew the P-40E variant at least through the Fall of 1942

Supposedly, soon after Pearl Harbor one squadron flying the P-40D model (of which only a few were manufactured) deployed to Pearl Harbor to replace December 7 losses.

Evidently, P-40Fs were appearing in the PTO (deployed to Pearl Harbor) around the Fall of 1942. I am wondering what squadron flew them and did they ultimately deploy to fight in New Guinea?

Anything known about what units of the RAAF were flying through about 1943 in the PTO would be helpful too.

OC

Last edited:
Can't help for the USAAF except I believe the 44th FS was equipped with the P-40F in the Solomons (could be wrong). As for the RAAF in 1943 the following units were active on combat operations -
2 sqn - Hudsons - Darwin
4 sqn - Wirraways Boomerangs - New Guinea
6 sqn - Hudsons, converted to Beauforts late 43 - New Guinea
7 sqn - Beauforts - Townsville, flying A/S patrols between Australia New Guinea. Intercepted and shot down several "Jakes"
8 sqn - Beauforts - Goodenough Is, New Guinea. Flew torpedo bomber strikes against Rabaul
9 sqn - Walrus - deployed on various RAN cruisers in the PTO and Med
11 sqn - PBY - Cairns, Australia - flew long range strike and mine laying missions throughout the Pacific
12 sqn - Vengeance - Darwin, deployed to Merauke Dutch New Guinea Oct 43 - Flew the RAAFs first Vengeance strike of the war, then deployed on A/S patrol duties.
13 sqn - Hudson - Darwin - withdrawn in April 43 and re-equipped with the Ventura
18 (NEI) sqn - B-25 - Darwin - combined Dutch/Australian bomber squadron
20 sqn - PBY - Cairns - as per 11 sqn
22 sqn - Bostons - New Guinea
24 sqn - Vengeance - New Guinea
30 sqn - Beaufighters - New Guinea
31 sqn - Beaufighters - Darwin. Long range fighter strikes over enemy held Islands
43 sqn - PBY - Bowen -then Karumba - as per 11 20 sqn's
75 sqn - P-40 - New Guinea
76 sqn - P-40 - Darwin New Guinea
77 sqn - P-40 - New Guinea
78 sqn - P-40 - New Guinea
79 sqn - Spitfire MkVc - New Guinea
83 sqn - Boomerang - deployed to Melville Is in Dec 43
84 sqn - P-40 - Horn Island
86 sqn - P-40 - Merauke, Dutch New Guinea
100 sqn - Beauforts - Torpedo GR Bomber duties - New Guinea
1 PRU - F4 Lightning - Long range PR unit
452 sqn - Spitfire MkVc - Darwin
457 sqn - Spitfire MkVc - Darwin

Added to these are several more squadrons (both fighter bomber) on home base defence duties further South, plus transport and communication units which flew into or were based in New Guinea.

Hi Oldcrow,
75 sqn flew E's in 42 followed by N's in mid to late 43
76 sqn flew E's in 42, M's in 43 and later N's
77 sqn flew E's in 42, K's in 43 followed by N's
78 sqn flew N's throughout the war
84 sqn flew N's from Oct 43 on after converting from Boomerangs
86 sqn flew M's from 43 to Apr 44 when they converted to N's

Added to these are -
80 sqn which was formed with P-40N's in late 43 and deployed to New Guinea in Feb 44
82 sqn formed with P-40M's and P-39's in June 43 but didn't deployed to NewGuinea until August 44 with P-40N's
120 (NEI) sqn formed with P-40Ns in Dec43 but deployed to Merauke DNG in Apr/May 44.
HTH.
No link for OOB's that I know of, however RAAF op's in the Pacific are a passion of mine, so feel free to ask any questions and I'll help out the best I can. :)

Thanks WC, Appreciate the info. I am surprised the Merlin powered P-40 didn't arrive in Oz at an early date, but then I expect the Spitfire Vs were defending Darwin so their high altitude capability wasn't all that critical. from wikipedia for 452 squadron:

"In March 1942, 452 Squadron replaced its sister, 457 Squadron, at RAF Andreas, Isle of Man, where it remained until it withdrew from operations in Britain in June of that year to return to Australia. It sailed for home on 21 June, arriving in Melbourne on 13 August and re-assembled at RAAF Base Richmond, New South Wales on 6 September. The squadron began a refresher training at Richmond, using a varied collection of aircraft because its Spitfires had been commandeered in transit by the Royal Air Force in the Middle East. 452 Squadron became operational again on 17 January 1943. Re-equipped with Spitfires, it was based at Batchelor Airfield in the Northern Territory and there joined No. 1 Wing RAAF, which defended Darwin from Japanese air raids. The squadron was relocated to Strauss Airfield on 1 February and, with the exception of a brief period between 9 and 27 March 1943 when it was deployed to RAAF Base Pearce to reinforce the air defences of Perth, it remained there (Strauss Airfield), protecting Darwin, until 30 June 1944, in May 1944 having become part of No. 80 Wing RAAF.
"

Old Crow - Usually you would have to dive into squadron/Group histories on microfil and extract model number info from serial numbers. You might also go to aviation-archeology.com or other accident report sites and look at daily accident records to pinpoint the series of aircraft you are looking for.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks WC, Appreciate the info. I am surprised the Merlin powered P-40 didn't arrive in Oz at an early date, but then I expect the Spitfire Vs were defending Darwin so their high altitude capability wasn't all that critical. from wikipedia for 452 squadron:
True. The spitfires of No1 Fighter Wing took over the defence of Darwin from the P-40E's of 76sqn. 54sqn RAF scored the Wings first kill, a Dinah, on 6 Feb43. The spitfires enabled 76sqn to eventually return to New Guniea, after a short spell at Potshot in Western Australia, equipped with P-40M's.

"In March 1942, 452 Squadron replaced its sister, 457 Squadron, at RAF Andreas, Isle of Man, where it remained until it withdrew from operations in Britain in June of that year to return to Australia. It sailed for home on 21 June, arriving in Melbourne on 13 August and re-assembled at RAAF Base Richmond, New South Wales on 6 September. The squadron began a refresher training at Richmond, using a varied collection of aircraft because its Spitfires had been commandeered in transit by the Royal Air Force in the Middle East. 452 Squadron became operational again on 17 January 1943. Re-equipped with Spitfires, it was based at Batchelor Airfield in the Northern Territory and there joined No. 1 Wing RAAF, which defended Darwin from Japanese air raids. The squadron was relocated to Strauss Airfield on 1 February and, with the exception of a brief period between 9 and 27 March 1943 when it was deployed to RAAF Base Pearce to reinforce the air defences of Perth, it remained there (Strauss Airfield), protecting Darwin, until 30 June 1944, in May 1944 having become part of No. 80 Wing RAAF.
"
452 made their first claims over Darwin in mid March 43. The deployment to Perth occured in 1944, not 43 as Wiki states. 452 was the first squadron of 80 wing to deploy its Spitfires MkVIII's to Morotai in Dec44, the other units 79 457, arriving in Feb45.

p.s. Wildcat the 78th flew P-40N all the war but when go deployed?

Hi Vincenzo, 78 sqn formed at Camden NSW in July 1943 with P-40N's. They first deployed to Kiriwina Island in Nov 43 and flew their first sorties over New Britain at the end of that month. In January 1944 they transfered to Nadzab on the New Guinea mainland before deploying to Cape Gloucester on New Britain in March. April saw another transfer back to the New Guinea mainland this time to Tadji to take part in the Hollandia landings. After it capture they deployed to Hollandia to take part in the Wadke and Biak invasions. July saw another move to Noemfoor Island before transfering to Morotai in Dec 44. 78 squadrons last operational deployment was to Tarakan Island in July 45 to take part in the Borneo campaign, equipped with P-40N's to the end of hostilities.

This is from P-40 Warhawk In Action #205 by Squadron Signal, page 17:

" Two P-40D-CUs (40-359 and 40-360) and 21 P-40D-1-CUs (40-361 through 40-381) were manufactured by Curtiss......... Eighteen were delivered to the USACCs 20th Pursuit Group at Hamilton Army Airfield in San Rafael, California, on 6 August 1941. P-40D-CU (40-359) was delivered to the USAAC as a P-40E in August 1941 while P-40D-CU (40-390) was modified to become the XP-40E.

There is evidence of P-40Ds being sent to combat units. A search....by noted P-40 expert Craig "Buz" Busby shows at least on P-40D (40-361) being sent to Alaska. Additional research shows other aircraft being sent to Hawaii and at last two of these being assigned to Midway Island."

However, on page 18 is shows a picture of a P-40D at Bellows Field, Hawaii belonging to the CO of the 318th Fighter Group (15th Air Mobility Wing).

In regards to the F in the PTO, it states that 2 USAAF Fighter Groups flew the P-40F in the Pacific. The 347th flew them at Guadalcanal while the 18th flew them out of Munda, both in the Solomons. The rest of the USAAF P-40Fs were sent to North Africa/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back