Very discouraged. I screwed up this plane.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nothing wrong with that bent wing bird a little rhinoplasty won't cure.

No matter the skill level...... we are all looking for those "aha" moments in a post when we see a solution to something we are looking to do.

No matter the skill level, we all find them. We catalog them in our notes, or just in the backs of our minds. We all find them. Sometimes what some call "mistakes" would be a solution to someone looking in.

We're all behind you, willing to help you find that solution. Hoping we can get someone else thru to the finish. There will never be a PM that will go unanswered.

It's all good mate!

Last edited:
Saved.jpg

Decals on. Saved.

Hey, Arachnicus,
I can so relate to getting discourage with a major mistake. Check out my MAJOR fumble here: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/tamiya-1-48-p-51b-build-35331.html

All of us have our Homer Simpson moments. When they happen, just push the chair back, put your hands in your lap and take a deep breath. Step away, and let time pass. The solution will come to you. Replan and then execute. Your recovery with this bird was wonderful. A lovely job you did there.
Dale

That came out very nicely. I had to do the complete strip and redo on the finish for the '51 build I referenced in an earlier post. Gotta love that brake fluid for getting the buggered up paint off.
Dale

TBH I would have said the original weathering was okay - for example, take a look at this RNZAF Corsair:

nz5420-f4u-1d.gif

Although a little grainy it still shows the wear and tear on the airframe. Note the bare metal over the inner wing/ oil cooler area? An ex-ground crewman told me that when that 14' Hamilton Standard prop was revving up the prop blast was powerful enough to embed chips of coral into the skin of the legs of ground crew members who were standing on the wing centre section: the effect of the coral sand and prop blast on the paint can be seen. Most RNZAF Corsairs showed this amount of exposed metal after even a relatively short period. This particular F4U-1D was overall Gloss Sea Blue, apart from the replacement engine cowlings.

Here's another one, less worn but starting to show erosion in the same area:

corsair-81-daly-23-sqn-1.gif

Still, your new finish is great as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back