Very discouraged. I screwed up this plane.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
I over weathered this plane and I'm seconds from throwing it in the trash. I tried to accent the rivets but then the spots were too big and I over chipped it, just a total disaster.

I feel like a failure.

shit.jpg

Let it sit there for a few days and look at it then. If you're talking about over doing it on the paint chipping, how about toning it down by carefully postshading over the chipped of areas with a thin mix of the basic dark blue color(s) As far as the rivets go, maybe you can pick out the panel with some careful masking, touch the paintwork up and give it another go. If need be, strip paint and redo the entire paintjob. Throwing it in the trash seems a bit drastic at this stage.

I agree. There is no major damage to the model as it stands, and nothing glaringly wrong. OK, so a touch of paint didn't go the way you wanted it to - an important step in building experience in modelling. You have paint, you have brushes, and you have the inclination - leave it a day or two, or a week or two, then come back to it, assess what you want to achieve, think about it and plan how you're going to go about it - don't rush into it. Then start some remedial work.

I agree with Jelmer and Terry, don't through it away. And your not failure. Like they said, take a step back and cool off. If it were me, I would recolor the rivets is blue and after that has dried go back and dry brush the rivets ever so slightly until you have the desired effect you are looking for. Just dip the brush in the paint, then brush it on a clothe until almost dry, then lightly (try this first on a piece of sprue) brush the rivets. It will take some time but the effort will be well worth and you will have save a great looking model and effort. Hope this helps.:)

this brings back memories of my wessex. I jumped to the same conclusion and trashed the thing. If I had waited a bit, and thought about it, I would have realized it was a n easily fixable problem that I had.

If you want an hoonest opinion, sure ther are some imperfections there, but i reckon your model is quite fixable.

Arachnichus you are too harsh of a critic of yourself. Van Gogh's shite now goes for a pretty penny. I think your worst is my best man. Keep at it.

With all here.
Bet you told yourself "I won't be doing That again"!
The best lessons are the things that don't go right.
It's called Pushing the envelope!

You'll be right mate!

C'mon man don't let it beat you, the best advice has been given above, take, learn from the things that don't quite go to plan and keep on improving!....cause you are!!!

Problem solved.jpg

Problem solved.

Good thing I have a lot of corsair decals. Yes the white is a bit high on the sides but I can live with it. This will now be Lt. M.W. Davenports Lonesome Pole Cat. With a lot less BS.

K, Honestly, I think that you did a good job on it earlier, a bit too much on the chipping but nothing that required a total repaint.
Now that you have done a total repaint, however, that looks freekin' great!

Sorry guys. I look at all of your masterpieces and it inspires me to go full bore and make something that impresses and that I am actually satisfied. The good thing was, was that during the first disaster I did do some things right.

With a highly deluded "90% thinner/8%White and 3% sand color" I applied coat after coat with inspecting after each one to have full control over making a decent realistic fading. Of course the pastel wash pretty much covered over it. I wont bother with a pastel wash this time.

As far as chipping a few very tiny marks if any.

I will have this plane decaled within about 12 hours of this reply.

RIP.jpg

Sadly one of my character defects claimed the life of this build. Whats sadder is not that I snapped it in half like ogre halfwit, but that I can't remember why I snapped it in half like a ogre halfwit (and it was only about 3 weeks ago.) I know I was upset because the nose was upturned a bit but that was a easy fix.

The WORST thing about this build was that I applied all those white line decals on the nose from scratch just to be a idiot and snap it in half.

I will admit I do dumba$$ things.

Still fixable I'm sure, and I've got spare decals (including white taping) if you need any (in 1:72 and 1:48, not sure what scale yours is)

Whatever you do don't bin it - give me a shout first if it's 1:72! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back