'Videos of the Day' an ongoing thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's a glimpse of history - an airshow at Mildenhall. Now they seem to be another casualty of the New World Order. So many happy days queuing up to be personally parked prior to the planes. And walking the mile or so to the static park. Then getting assailed my the 'MAF Miasma'... a mix of BBQ and latrines. Oh, and paraffin... lovely. Will we ever get to go there again?

Until then here are some clips I took one of the last times we went. Had a new camcorder but the weather was crap. In the MiG 29 routine he did manage to find a gap in the overcast to do the tailslide. Great stuff.

Attachments

• maf-mig29-1_280.wmv
    15.7 MB · Views: 55
Here is the second part. Here we see the famous tail-slide and the landing. Lucky there was a gap in the clouds!

These clips were taken with my old camera. The new one's batteries could not last long enough for a full airshow.... if you were thinking of buying a camcorder you must think about the batteries. They give you one which is not going to last very long if you use the screen. I had to buy an extra couple of batteries... check out Ebay.

Odd that the old analog camcorder lasted longer. I had two batteries for that and tho bulky they do the job. Miniaturisation has other penalties. I found the smaller DV camcorder difficult to keep tracking planes. A tripod is only useful up to a point as it limits movement especially with planes or motor sport.

Attachments

• maf-mig29-2_845.wmv
    4.3 MB · Views: 53
More jet stuff - the mighty F16.

I should have added above that the quality is not maybe as good as it should be. It's time I dug the original out and re did the file. Some of the psychedelic effects are due to the file conversion. But as you will see in the next F16 clip of this sequence the cloudbase and haze were not conducive to a great video.

Like Duxford the East West line of the runway and the crowdline are not in your favour either. When the sun's out you are looking and filming into the sun. Not good for expensive optics!

So throw all this lot together and it is nigh on miraculous that you get to see these clips at all!

Attachments

• maf-f16_143.wmv
    7.5 MB · Views: 55
Cheers - a real treat coming this weekend. The F16's rival, the F-18!

Here is a clip of the Superhornet doing a simply astounding aerobatic routine at Farnboro. I have always liked the F18 but this is a new plane... should have called it something else like Phantom III or Hellspawn etc. When you couple this kind of aerobatics with the phased array radar and AMRAAM etc., the F22 etc better look out.

I used to think displays could not best the Flankers and Fulcrums but this one is a whole new standard.

He says these manoeuvres are for combat - try staying on the 6 of this beastie.

Then we have to come the EW version, "The Growler" and you begin to comprehend what a major machine the F/A-18 is. Imagine a whole air force of nowt but Hornets...

Two vid versions coming up - the wmv one for quick downloading and then later the 30 meg mpg one for better quality.

Attachments

• super-hornet_194.wmv
    5 MB · Views: 46
  • super-hornet_364.mpg
    30.2 MB · Views: 90
Thanks for the advice GN I must have missed Roys posting so I have removed it but at least I know there viewable so Ill stick em in my thread
cheers
PS sorry ROY I've slapped myself on your behalf

That's OK - blame Les coz he told me I should put em all in one place. Seems to make sense tho. He did it but has so far not turned this thread into a sticky... pretty please... or can I do it?

Users who are viewing this thread