Walther Dahl and stab/JG300 visiting IV. (sturm)/JG3?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Udet

Banned
Nov 22, 2004
Erich, hello:

As we commented via Private Message, here you have a few images of the veeeeery long documentary I received a few days ago.

Sorry for being so lazy and "low tech" but taking photos directly over the screen of a TV where the DVD was being played -at a friend´s house, I do not have a TV- was the fastest thing I could do to get them ready.

You told me you have seen this video in the past -and perhaps some other members have as well-, so here are the images -and the questions where they are due-:

Photo Walther Dahl 1: Pilots saluting Dahl -foreground/ right corner, wearing a light colored coat- (see the black pet calmly passing by).

Photo Walther Dahl 2: pilots gathering. (See Dahl is still showing his back to the camera).

Photo Walther Dahl 3: Experte Dahl himself.

Photo Walther Dahl 4: Erich, here is the question: who is the guy left to Walther? The one with very marked face lines. The footage of this visit is long, and he is always close to Dahl.

Photo Walther Dahl 5: This pilot appeares to be an intriguing figure. The guy who sent the DVD to me, told me this pilot as an experte, who is still alive. As you see he is not still wearing any condecorations, but who knows, perhaps medals were on its way when the footage was made.

I ask this because in the video, the officers surrounding Dahl brought this pilot and had him introduced to Dahl. It seems he was an important pilot.

Photo Walther Dahl 6: Who is this pilot? He is wearing his condecorations.

Photo Walther Dahl 7: This particular snapshot shows the Fw 190s making a last pass over the base before commencing to gain altitude.

Note the nearly perfect formation those pilots were making.

I tell you something guys, the view of the perfect formation and the sound of engines roaring while passing before their commaner made my hair stand on one end.

As you told me Erich, this particular footage was made on October 1944. I tell to those who insist and insist the same crap over and over again, see this movie and know how those "undertrained" guys flew in late 1944.

Flying in perfect finger fours over their base, at some 500 km/hr at the very low altitude of rough 20 meters. "Undertrained"...oh yeah, sure.

So Erich, it was Dahl and his stab (JG 300) inspecting IV. (sturm)/JG 3?

Cheers!

Attachments

• walther_dahl_001_107.jpg
    walther_dahl_001_107.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 594
  • walther_dahl_002_296.jpg
    walther_dahl_002_296.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 577
  • walther_dahl_003_716.jpg
    walther_dahl_003_716.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 580
  • walther_dahl_004_667.jpg
    walther_dahl_004_667.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 626
  • walther_dahl_005_169.jpg
    walther_dahl_005_169.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 598
  • walther_dahl_006_106.jpg
    walther_dahl_006_106.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 605
  • walther_dahl_007_146.jpg
    walther_dahl_007_146.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 605
Udet I have this documentary.

Chap with the Ritterkreuz (2nd pic) is friend Oskar Romm who scored at least 8 US heavy bombers in a SturmFw 190 while in IV.Sturm/JG 3 and yes Dahl and his Stab are visiting JG 3 Sturm pilots after their victories of 7-7-44. top pic is a run over by Sturm Fw's of JG 3 over their airfield with more Sturms on the grass.
(3rd pic) is Staffelkapitän of 11.Sturm/JG 3 another ace Werner Gerth.

another pic with Dahl in his white jacket back to camera and Offizier facing camera in his Lederjacke with arm rank is Gruppenkommandeur Will Moritz who is over 90yrs and quite ill. later a Ritterkreuz winner

another pic shows a 12.Sturm/JG 3 Fw 190 with yellow stripe over black spinner.

Dahl in profile with black 13 of 11.Sturm/JG 3 in the background and this was Werner Gerths machine. White 13 is actually sitting next to it from 10.Sturm/JG 3.

Udet looking back on your pics, the ovie cine is out of order but that is ok. # 4 again with Willi Moritz on the left side of Dahl's back, right next to Moritzl is 3 bomber killer friend Karl-Heinz von den Steinen who was wounded in action in the summer of 44 by .50's via the bomber pulk he had attacked keeping him out of the rest of the war.

Erich:

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I was out of the city.

Bloody hell! You know all guys in the snapshots.

Oskar Romm and Wilhelm Moritz.

So Romm is your friend, how old is he?

Was Moritz part of Sturmstaffel 1?

Erich, is the guy who sent me the video correct? Is Werner Gerth still alive? Impressive innformation, I mean it...

What was the total score of Gerth?

I will try to come back with more snapshots of Walther Dahl visiting those pilots.

Udet:

Oskar died in summer of 1994 and Werner Gerth was KIA. His score is also up for some debate. He had 38 kills to a very authoratative source but that is incorrect. 27 kills in the West 22 of them US 4 engine bombers. he was killed as he bailed out of his burning SturmFw on 2nd of November 1944, his parachute did not open. He was decorted posthumously with the RK in October of 44.

No Will Moritz was Gruppenkommandeur of IV./JG 3 when they were still flying the Bf 109G-6 and then Sturmgruppen, he went into JG 4 for a time and then was ushered out of service due to a mental breakdown

Erich:

Just a couple of questions:

(1) What was Moritz score before the IV. gruppe of JG 3 converted to sturm?

(2) You tell me Moritz, right after IV. (sturm)/JG 3 then went to JG 4. Did he join the sturm gruppe of that geschwader? Was von Kornatzky still in charge by the time willy arrive?

Mr. Weissner:

Erich should know of a more accurate reponse to your question. The video got to my hands from the distant steppes of russia.

You are right though. The film is not only neat, it is impressive. See the sturm making the last pass over the base, flying in nearly perfect finger fours, the engines roaring....then you are sweating in front of the screen.

Erich, hello:

As we commented via Private Message, here you have a few images of the veeeeery long documentary I received a few days ago.

Sorry for being so lazy and "low tech" but taking photos directly over the screen of a TV where the DVD was being played -at a friend´s house, I do not have a TV- was the fastest thing I could do to get them ready.

You told me you have seen this video in the past -and perhaps some other members have as well-, so here are the images -and the questions where they are due-:

Photo Walther Dahl 1: Pilots saluting Dahl -foreground/ right corner, wearing a light colored coat- (see the black pet calmly passing by).

Photo Walther Dahl 2: pilots gathering. (See Dahl is still showing his back to the camera).

Photo Walther Dahl 3: Experte Dahl himself.

Photo Walther Dahl 4: Erich, here is the question: who is the guy left to Walther? The one with very marked face lines. The footage of this visit is long, and he is always close to Dahl.

Photo Walther Dahl 5: This pilot appeares to be an intriguing figure. The guy who sent the DVD to me, told me this pilot as an experte, who is still alive. As you see he is not still wearing any condecorations, but who knows, perhaps medals were on its way when the footage was made.

I ask this because in the video, the officers surrounding Dahl brought this pilot and had him introduced to Dahl. It seems he was an important pilot.

Photo Walther Dahl 6: Who is this pilot? He is wearing his condecorations.

Photo Walther Dahl 7: This particular snapshot shows the Fw 190s making a last pass over the base before commencing to gain altitude.

Note the nearly perfect formation those pilots were making.

I tell you something guys, the view of the perfect formation and the sound of engines roaring while passing before their commaner made my hair stand on one end.

As you told me Erich, this particular footage was made on October 1944. I tell to those who insist and insist the same crap over and over again, see this movie and know how those "undertrained" guys flew in late 1944.

Flying in perfect finger fours over their base, at some 500 km/hr at the very low altitude of rough 20 meters. "Undertrained"...oh yeah, sure.

So Erich, it was Dahl and his stab (JG 300) inspecting IV. (sturm)/JG 3?

Cheers!

Grat stuff,

I am a friend of Walther Dahl's granddaughter --she would be happy to answer any regarding this subject she has some great stories,

Thanks

PG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back