Warbirds of North Carolina (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It is a damn shame, and it has been too often lately that we have lost great pilots and great airplanes. I person ally have lost 2 friends in the past 3 years: Bill Johnson in the Wildcat, Houston, October 2003; Joe Tobul in the F4U-7 "Korean War Hero", Charleston, SC, September 2002; also, having met and had conversation with Don Hinz, the loss of him was devastating as well. One of our wing's main pilots crashed in 2002 in a homebuilt aircraft in Virginia as well. It has been a tough couple of years since i have been in the CAF.

It is a damn shame, and it has been too often lately that we have lost great pilots and great airplanes. I personally have lost 2 friends in the past 3 years: Bill Johnson in the Wildcat, Houston, October 2003; Joe Tobul in the F4U-7 "Korean War Hero", Charleston, SC, September 2002; also, having met and had conversation with Don Hinz, the loss of him was devastating as well. One of our wing's main pilots crashed in 2002 in a homebuilt aircraft in Virginia as well. It has been a tough couple of years since i have been in the CAF.

I have a shot of the crash somewhere, but can't find it at the moment. Here is the aftermath though.

Attachments

• aftermath_180.jpg
    aftermath_180.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 682
  • crash_trucks_168.jpg
    crash_trucks_168.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 657
  • next_morning_201.jpg
    next_morning_201.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 663
Not officially. But they were taking off with a tail wind. From what I understand, it was a combination of the tail wind during takeoff and an agressive turn. But that is just what was observed by our guys on the ground.

i see....... i just checked back with my wing leader back home, and he said that our stinson reliant should be done with its restoration in about 4 weeks, complete with its new (correct) paint scheme....WOO HOO!!!
also, he said that the P-39 crashed....any word on that?

evangilder said:
Not officially. But they were taking off with a tail wind. From what I understand, it was a combination of the tail wind during takeoff and an aggressive turn. But that is just what was observed by our guys on the ground.
Do you think Evan that some times the guys wishing to put on a good show forget how old some of these planes are and just over cook things?
Even though there are ticketed the inherent strength and handling of the aircraft must be limited by the lack of modern technology.

I haven't heard about the P-39 crash. Let me see what I can find out.

Trackend, I am not sure that things get that way with the CAF. We have had our share of mechanical failures and pilot errors. I think it's safer than regular GA in a lot of respects. The crews that work on these birds baby them and if they say no go, it's grounded. They don't take chances.

I know and I agree. It's a double edged sword. One one side, you want to get them out so more people can see them and learn about them. Plus seeing an old bird like that fly is one hell of a treat. But when something goes wrong, which does happen some times, well, the results can be disastrous.

Personally, I think the risk is worth it. We have a few non-flying airplanes in our hangar that, while neat to look at, are just static displays. They are but a hulk of their former glory. To stand on a ramp and hear the rumble of the engines and smell the oily exhaust is an experience that just can;t be replicated.

Here's the press release from the CAF on the P-39Q incident:

CAF P-39Q INVOLVED IN INCIDENT AT FREDERICKSBURG AIRPORT
MIDLAND, Texas (April 20, 2005) – A Commemorative Air Force (CAF) operated single-engine World War II Bell P-39Q Airacobra, N6968 was involved in an incident Monday, April 18, 2005, at the Fredericksburg Airport in Fredericksburg, Texas. The aircraft, which was being flown by a CAF pilot, was en route to San Marcos, Texas, from Holloman Air Force Base via a fuel stop in Midland, Texas, at CAF Headquarters.

After leaving Midland International Airport, weather deteriorated en route and the pilot diverted to Fredericksburg. Upon landing the airplane left the runway and rolled into a fence resulting in minor damage to the prop and leading edge of a wing. The P-39 has been secured in a hangar.

The airplane is assigned to the Central Texas Wing of the CAF, which is based in San Marcos, Texas. The smallest fighter of the war, the P-39 was the first to be built with a tricycle landing gear. The CAF acquired the P-39 in 1974. For many years the airplane was flown with Russian markings, however it currently appears in the markings and colors of the 350th Fighter Group, which consisted of the 345th, 346th and 347th Fighter Squadrons that flew in North Africa and Italy.

The CAF is a nonprofit organization dedicated to flying and restoring World War II aircraft. Based in Midland, Texas, the organization has over 9,500 members and operates a fleet of over 150 World War II aircraft.

For more information please contact Tina Corbett at (432) 563-1000, ext. 2231.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back