Warbirds of North Carolina

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think there is a case for both airworthy and static displays Evan
I discussed this with a guy down at the FAAM in Yeovile last week. The train of thought behind some or their static aircraft is too conserve and not restore at what point does an airworthy plane cease to be a genuine WW2 combat aircraft if nearly all of it has been replaced with modern remanurfactured componants in order to make or keep it flyable a bit like replacing most of a Ming vase to enable it to remain a vase thats not too say that having flying aircraft does not bring home the grace,courage and excitement of a by gone erra as I say I believe there is a strong reason to have both.

your right Evan its no a poor mans hobby this flying lark is it, as I have found out Just looking at PPL costs so these antiques must burn a huge hole in their owners pockets.

Yep, and if you are a CAF member, it's more than just fuel. You have to carry some of your own insurance (The CAF has a minimal policy, you make up the rest), plus you have to sponsor the aircraft, which usually means $10,000 or more. Definitely not cheap. But then, I guess it means that you are serious about it.

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but a big airplane/WWII nut. I am curious if you guys are putting the original instrument panel in your AT-19? Also does yours have the escape hatch still in the roof?
I have been tracking the histories of all 500 AT-19's so I always like to see how the airplanes are set-up today.

That Red Tail P-51 was a beautiful bird. Got to see the public on-veiling of her and stood at the edge of the runway when she taxied and took off. Was also at the show in Wi. where she crashed. Took of and flew a tandem with another P-51 (I think it was Gunfighter).
Rebuild is going along well as I understand they hope to have her flying again in the spring of 2009.
You can read more about it at the Redtail Project web-site, not sure if it is OK to post a link to the site, but do a google search on Red Tail Project and you will find it.

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but a big airplane/WWII nut. I am curious if you guys are putting the original instrument panel in your AT-19? Also does yours have the escape hatch still in the roof?
I have been tracking the histories of all 500 AT-19's so I always like to see how the airplanes are set-up today.

Is the AT-19 the Stinson Reliant?

What is the aircraft in the Commonwealth museum, is it a "Stinson" made by the Stinson company?

Attachments

• reliant2_131.jpg
    reliant2_131.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 83
  • Stinson.JPG
    Stinson.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 87

Users who are viewing this thread

Back