Warship visit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would love to have seen the Yamato or Mushashi before their sinking. It would have been exciting to see the two biggest battleships ever created.

In the 'real world', I would like to visit HMS Warrior. I have visited Victory, as well as HMS Belfast, HMS Plymouth and Onyx (Falklands war vets, I believe neither is a museum ship any more) and USS North Carolina.

I would have loved to have seen the USS Indiana (BB-1), I really licked the compact design.

I've seen the USS Yorktown and USS North Carolina, I would love to see the Mikasa in Japan - Vice-Admiral Togo's flagship during the Russo-Japanese War.

I've been on the Constitution but I'd like to see her in her prime....

also The Enterprise during the Midway campaign

also The Golden Hind

It would either have to be the H.M.S. Hood or the USS Lexington, before she was sunk at Coral Sea. Though the H.M.S. Courageous would be cool to see too, before she was torpedoed. God, there's too many ships that I would want to visit.

Any Athenian capital ship as they trounced the Persians!

How could you not pick something from every era? Even an almost completely US-centric view yields some spectacular possibilities. Some of them are actually doable.

Turtle: who could pass on the first military submarine?

Constitution: a high point of sail powered design that's too important, easy, and fun to miss (I live a mile away and go several times a year...).

Monitor: OK, how about the first military vessel combining screw propulsion and a turret? Any takers?

Dreadnaught: how far and how fast the Monitor concept developed, governing another 40 years of modern naval warfare!

U20: by sinking the Lusitania, it fundamentally changed the course of WW1 and set in motion the whole course of submarine warfare for the first half of the 20th century.

Enterprise (CV-6): name a more decorated vessel and close forerunner of the Essex class carriers that definitively ended a 500 year era of surface ships shooting bullets directly at each other.

Liberty: it's like imagining the world without DC-3/C-47 aircraft. What really won WW2?

Nautilus: imagine a submarine not crippled by the endurance issue and how surface vessels, especially carriers, will survive in an ocean that hides these vessels. The Albacore, in Portsmouth NH, is a surrogate visit. Nuclear missiles follow directly.

Enterprise (CVN-65): Supercarriers are still relevant, especially the first nuclear-powered version.

How about the Titanic for a non-military vessel? Can't think of a more infamous ship. Would love to see this ship in all it's grandeur and beauty. Sorry to venture off topic, but to see this ship before it's demise would be incredible.

Last edited:
If it were possible to see and visit any warship in its prime, which one would it be? Mine would have to be H.M.S. Hood circa 1936:)
Without a doubt for me, the HMS Victory in 1805, a First-rate ship of the line, or even the Santísima Trinidad, another First-rate from Trafalgar which carried 136 guns.

I have been on Sir Francis Drake's ship when it was in Seattle many years ago, and it made a huge impression on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back