Warships in the 1500-1700's....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I recall for the old US frigate Constitution, it was involved with a number of battles where the cannon balls literally bounced of the hull... this at point blank range, On one battle with two British frigates (I don't recall the names) some 30 odd cannon balls were stuck in the hull but did not penetrate. Constitution defeated the two ships. It was on an early engagement (war of 1812) with a British ship that upon a cannon ball bouncing off the hull (at point blank) that a sailor cried out "her sides are made of iron!" and the nickname "Old Ironsides" stuck.

dutch ships in the17th century were rather good. Especially the east-india traders were well build ships. Also I believe the Dutch were the first to somewhat mass produce ships after the invention of the windmill saw. It lead to our dominance on the world market in those times.
Dutch warships seemed to be rather efficient compared to contemporaries (maybe with the exception of British ships?).
Spanish ships never were really good. Too much pomp and circumstances and not enough practicallity.

Check out the history of the Arsenal at Venice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back