Was the Bf-110G-4 one of the greatest nightfighters?

Do you think that the Bf-110G-4 was one of the greatest nightfighters of WW2?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would say the unit although slow and used on the Ost front by NJG100 to try and catch Soviet bi-planes, nah crap use with a Lich. radar array to weigh it down and get in the way, the plane was good for staff transport and that is about it. also do not think the Fw 190A variants were any good as well as a NF but of course had to be used, could take down a BC bomber easier than a Bf 109G-6 even with underwing gondolas but neither were set up as a good mount for FuG 217 and 218 radar systems, the pilot had other distractions in the air instead of trying to glue his eyes to a scope pattern.

price data for 1941 for some German aircraft types, via Olaf Groehlers GdLK, 1910-1980:
Without engine / with engine, in Reichsmarks (RM)
Bf 110C : 155 800 / 210 140
Ju 88A : 245 200 / 306 950

Late war prices for the Me-110G and Ju-88G will be different but I suspect the price ratio is similiar. The Ju-88 costs 50% more then a Me-110. Something to think about as we debate the merits of these aircraft as night fighters.

I think the Blenheim 1F, fitted with the early mk of AI radar was pretty ordinary. A book I am reading about operations in 1940-41 shows that time and again it was just too slow to catch the German night intruders over the British Isles

Here is a manual on the Bf-110 G-4 with detail towards the Schraege Musik installed. Dont know exactly what data your looking for. Can you give me a little bit of detail towards what ya want.

Wow, that's cool, it answers my question :)

Seems one has always something new to learn.

I think the Blenheim 1F, fitted with the early mk of AI radar was pretty ordinary. A book I am reading about operations in 1940-41 shows that time and again it was just too slow to catch the German night intruders over the British Isles

May I ask the title of the book? I think I'd be interested in reading it too.

Dave I am thinking though the Ju 88G-6 far outlasted and outclassed the even late war Bf 110G-4 the extra armor what there was of it, more powerful engines the extra crew-member as radar operator and extra eyes for Allied NF's in a hopeful non crowded sphere, though it was still cramped, guns housed below the fuselage so it would not blind the crew, much better visibility over all, longer range, on it goes.........

think the Soviet A/C arsenal for night fighter ops could be lumped in here as well. But in this case think it was not of concern and with that not pursued as it should of been through development.

Ju 88G-6 far outlasted and outclassed the even late war Bf 110G-4
I don't doubt it. However the Ju-88 night fighter program received serious funding for research and development right to the end of the war. It appears to me the Me-110 program received crumbs by comparison. Development practically stopped during 1942 when the Me-210 entered production.

What could the Me-110G or Me-110H night fighter have become with the same level of program resources? Give it the aerodynamic improvements incorporated into the Me-210 series to improve speed but skip all features assocated with bombing.

not much really with only two crewmen. the writing was on the wall by late 43 one of the detriments of the He 219 was the radar operator could not watch the tail of the a/c having to keep his eyes glued to the scope, sadly not all Uhu's were fitted with tail warning radar right up to the end, something I could never understand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back