Was the Bf-110G-4 one of the greatest nightfighters?

Do you think that the Bf-110G-4 was one of the greatest nightfighters of WW2?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

carman1877

Airman
May 14, 2009
Do you think that the Bf-110G-4 was one of the best nighfighters of World War Two because I have looked at several different sources and the story of Wolfgang Schnaufer who claimed about 114 or more aerial victories with this aircraft. What do you think and why?

121 aerial victories off wich where 114 four engines bombers!

Heinz-Wolfgang Schnaufer and his crew, trhee knights crosses in one cockpit!

Piet

Attachments

• crew.jpg
    crew.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
yes it has to be as it was in all of the NJG's early war until changes with the use of He 219 in small numbers, Do 217's and the Ju 88 variants. One must also look at the kill ratio with this bird, more than any other Allied or LW fighter for night fighter work.

After the Me 110 was outphased after BoB it became a good nightfighte and i have to agree with all of you; but for me the greatest nightfighter is the Heinkel He 219 or Ta 154. Unfortunately like other technical developments they came too late and were too few to show big results.

I dont think there is any doubt here, it was a great nightfighter. Too many downed RAF Heavies to say otherwise.

But it could be beaten, as the Mosquito intruder operations demonstrated.

Bf-110%20under%20fire%20from%20an%20RAF%20night%20fighter%2001_jpg.jpg

A still from gun camera footage showing a Bf-110 of an unknown unit under fire from an RAF night fighter

1-Bf-110G-NJG1.12-Heinz-Wolfgang-Schnaufer-WNr-720260-01.jpg

Oblt. Heinz-Wolfgang Schnaufer of 12./NJG1 photographed at St. Trond in February 1944 with the tail of his Bf-110G, WNr. 720260, which was then marked with 47 victory bars. The last of these victories were all claimed on the night of 15/16 February when, between 22.58 and 23.33 hrs, Schnaufer shot down three Lancasters. Schnaufer ended the war with the rank of Major and a total of 121 night victories claimed in only 164 sorties. He was awarded the Ritterkreuz in December 1943, the Oak Leaves in June 1944, the Swords a month later and the Diamonds on 16 October 1944 when he reached 100 victories. Post-war, Schnaufer was seriously injured in a road accident in France on 13 July 1950 and died two days later.

I think the Bf-110 was a great night fighter, and the records prove it. The airframe was adaptable to many different weapon load outs, especially the Schräge Musik.

Thanks for that Beau, interesting picture. There's some frames of gun camera photos of a Bf 110 shooting down an Avro Manchester in Dr Theo Boiten's excellent "Nachtjagd War Diaries." Unfortunately I have no scanner to reproduce them here.

I think the Bf-110 was a great night fighter, and the records prove it. The airframe was adaptable to many different weapon load outs, especially the Schräge Musik.

I have trouble to find data about 110 wielding the Schraege Musik. Any info?

That's true too. Once again the historical combat results speak for themselves.

However the Me-110 night fighter program did not get the same level of resources as the Ju-88 night fighter program. The follow-on Me-210 / Me-410 was designed as a light bomber complete with dive brakes and a decent size bomb bay.

It is interesting to contemplate what a Me-110 night fighter follow-on might look like. Probably similiar to the Me-210C. However....
No bomb bay.
No dive brakes.
No structural strengthening necessary for dive bombing.
No rear firing weapons. The rear gunner is now a radar operator.
The end result is considerably lighter then the Me-210C. This hypothetical Me-210 night fighter will likely be a 400+ mph aircraft similiar in performance to the Mosquito night fighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back