Weapons (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clave

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 15, 2005
Deep in suburban Surrey
I lost track of what I have and have not posted, so apologies if you've seen some of these before:

The Baker Rifle was the first rifle to be issued to the British Army. It entered service in 1801, and gradually replaced the muskets that had been used before. It was .625 calibre (15.9mm) and was muzzle-loaded. The barrel was 1,162mm long and it weighed 4.08Kg.

The Baker Rifle stayed in service until 1837, and was used in the Napoleonic Wars, the Indian Wars, and the Texas Revolution.

Baker_Rifle.png

The Parabellum-Pistole, commonly known as the Luger, was patented in 1898, and saw service in Germany and Switzerland from before WW1 until the end of WW2.

Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken (DWM) introduced the pistol with a 7.65 x 22 cartridge, but this was thought to lack power, so the 9 mm parabellum round was developed, which went on to become a standard round in many countries.

Many variations of the Luger were developed during it's history for the various branches of the German Military and Police Forces, including long and short-barreled types, and even a rifle-type stock for use as a machine-gun.

This example is a standard DWM Military issue pistol, circa 1912.

DWM_Luger_1912.png

This example is a DWM Navy issue pistol, with six inch barrel, circa 1917.

DWM_Luger_1917_Navy.png

This example is a DWM Artillery issue pistol, with eight inch barrel, circa 1917.

DWM_Luger_1917_Artillery.png

The FN FAL is a semi-automatic 7.62mm calibre rifle issued as standard to many military units throughout the world.

It has been made by Fabrique Nationale de Herstal (FN) in Belgium since 1954 and has been described as 'the right arm of the Free World'

Although not normally fully automatic, the FAL was put up as an answer to the AK-47, and it uses the longer cartridge giving a much improved range.

This example is a British issue FAL, called the SLR, which was in use until 1987, when it was replaced by the L85A1.

FN_FAL_1.png

This example is a British issue FAL, called the SLR, which was in use until 1987, when it was replaced by the L85A1.

FN_FAL_2.png

The Jaeger Rifle was developed in the mid 1700's in Germany.

It found use in various Armies and Militia, and also formed the basis for the Kentucky Rifle and others used by the early Pioneers.

This example is a German 0.62 cal (15.7mm) with a 700mm barrel. It features high ornate relief engraving on the metal furniture and carved inlays on the wood of the stock. It is dated circa 1730 - 1750.

Jaeger_Rifle.png

The Katana is a Japanese sword which was in use from around 987 ad until the end of WW2.

The name Katana originally meant any single edged sword, but was later adopted to mean specifically the curved long sword or nihonto.

The Katana used by the Samurai was usually with a short sword, a Wakizashi or Shoto. The wakizashi were used as backup weapons and as tools to decapitate defeated enemies, and sometimes to commit ritual suicide.

This example is a Katana signed by: Hizen no Kami Fujiwara Hirosada. The Blade Length is: 70.9 cm. Year of Manufacture: 1684. Forging Pattern: Ko-Itame. Tempering Pattern: Suguha.

Hirosada_Katana.png

The Viking Sword was in use with various European nations from around 700 - 1000. It was 90 - 100 cm long, double-edged with a tapered blade.

The early examples had lobed pommels and pattern-welded decoration on the blades, which became more elaborate as inlays of non-ferrous metals came into use.

Later in the period, the design was changed significantly as multiple discs were attached crosswise to the hilt, and the cross-guard became much wider.

This example is a typical Viking sword with lobed and incised hilt.

Viking_Sword_1.png

Nice work. The good old 'Gat' (SLR) was a great bit of kit. Longer, heavier than the L85 (SA80), but at least it worked! And targets did drop when hit !!
Wish I had a quid for every hour I've lugged one around, and the 'Jimpy'. I can still remember the Registered Number of my first issued L1A1 (SLR) - A17910.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back