Well, another fire here, close to home 🙁 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
As if we haven't had enough wildfires here in Northern California, yet another breaks out!

All summer long, we've been under seige by monster wildfires, the biggest being the "Dixie" fire that's going on three months and almost 1 million acres which has come within 40 miles of here.
Plus seven others in the area, many of which are still burning and average between 200 and 400 thousand acres.

But wait, NOW there's the "Fawn" fire that's burning to the north of me, about 6 miles away and this fire as intentionally started by a Bay Area woman (who's a PhD in Environmental Chemistry). The fire is burning in rugged terrain and hampered by strong winds.
So far, I'm not in harm's way, but I'm angry about the whole situation.

The upside (if there is any), is that my place is just north of Redding Airport (RDD) and it's been an Air show of sorts.

My cameras and computers are still in storage so I grabbed pix with my crappy cellphone (have I mentioned that I hate this f#!%ing phone?), so the quality is not there, but I had to share.

Bae-146
20210924_183743.jpg

MD-11
20210924_174854.jpg

S-2
20210924_174313.jpg

C-130
20210924_174049.jpg

OV-10
20210924_183037.jpg

Thanks all for the well wishes and concern, it's most appreciated.

The "Fawn" fire is still very active, but has been turned north through a Herculean effort by fire crews and air attack, forcing it to the north and toward Shasta Lake.
No lives have been lost, but they're still counting homes lost, which is so far numbering well over 100.
The real blessing, was the north winds stopped just as they thought all was lost and the fire would spread into the nearby City of Shasta Lake and North Redding, which would have been catastrophic.
Since then, the daytime temps have been lower with calm winds, making it ideal for combating the wildfire.
The fire has reached nearly 7,000 acres in three days and is about 10% contained, so there is a ways to go yet.

My cameras and computers are still in storage so I grabbed pix with my crappy cellphone (have I mentioned that I hate this f#!%ing phone?), so the quality is not there, but I had to share.

Yep - an a scale of 1-10 the average cellphone camera sucks at 0.1 though I would not mind one of the Samsungs with the 100+mb cameras. Got enough problems with my old android phone doing what Google wants instead of what I want though so will just have to suffer.

Keep safe and keep enjoying your airshow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back