Wellington advice wanted

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

trackend

Chief Master Sergeant
Dec 20, 2003
Ipswich, Suffolk
I'm no modelling expert (slight under statement there :rolleyes:) so I need some help
I have a mind to build my uncle's MK 1 Wellington AL340 from RCAF 429 Bison Squadron (he was KIA after only a few missions)
my list of questions are as follows

1. In your opinions what is the best Wellington MK 1 kit around

2. Can I obtain decals for this aircraft.

3. I also need the camo layout any ideas

Finally any advice would be helpfull or as I am a novice would it be more successful to buy a pre built model and convert it to his aircraft if so how, ie removing/replacing decals weathering etc
many thanks

Lee the glue boy
see told you im useless I dont even know how to use liquid cement :)

Great to see ya around mate!

In 1:48, the Trumpeter kit is the way to go; in 1:72, either the MPM orTrumpeter Mk.1a's, or the Italeri Mk.X (reboxed MPM kit - contains all parts for the Mk.1a, III, and X)

The Trumpeter kit has more internal detail, but is apparently a little heavy handed in the geodetic wing structure detail. Looks good to me though in the photos I've seen.
I have the Italeri (MPM) Mk.X which is beautiful, though fittings and stations from the pilot's bulkhead aft need to be scratchbuilt.(Internal rib detail is nicely reproduced throughout the whole fueslage though)

About the decals, I'll have a look on the net for ya, also for the camo layout of 429 sqn. aircraft.

Evan

Thanks for that guys, brilliant info. I really like the Trumpeter 48th model so although pricey it will be the one I'll most likely go with
Only one more request at the moment. Im going to read all the info i can on building this type of kit but if I'm stuck i would be really gratefull if you guys could answer what may be really stupid questions (without taking the rise out of me too much) as I have a shot at making this kit.
I may have been around for a while but as far as model building goes I'm still in my nappies.:D
cheers Lee

No problem Trackie ,feel free to ask if you need to find out something.There is always somebody who can help.

Last edited:
Me too Tracky! Just yell when you need help, I'm sure we'll all do our best where and when we can to sort you out!
Somewhere, i've got a magazin article or two covering the build of the Trumpeter kit; I'll see if it might be of any use, and let you know.
Terry.

Thanks fellas
Heres the first questions what paint? which liquid cement? tools required? and is a spray gun, canister driven ok ? or do I need a mini compressor version (which seems rather expensive for a maybe one off project) failing that can you get away with brush alone, There seems to be loads about building but not a concensus on the best route for beginners and as in a fortnights time Ill be at Duxford flying legends it will be a good place to start hunting for some bits and bobs.
Even things like at what stage to paint componants seems to vary.
Sorry to be boring as I known lots of this info is spread around the modelling threads eg: "I Like Freds flicking paint" " but I preffer Mables muck" etc but im trying to get as much info that is relitive to a starter such as me into one place as pos as being a lazy git it will make it easy to refer back to.
The only thing I have brought so far is a pair of strong reading glasses as my eye sight is crap :D

So a list of basic Items I will need seems a good place to start.

many thanks
Lee the rookey

Last edited:
If it's going to be a representation of an aircraft that was flown by a relative then I'd take a lot of time and do some research, it's what I did on my Liberator which is replica of my Grandfather's kite.
I couldn't find any results for the loss of AL340 are you sure it was in this kite that he was lost? If so what were the dates? It all helps with getting it "right", squadron markings, numbers etc as you know differ from Squadron to Squadron and theatre to theatre.
As for the questions heres some sugestions:
Which paint - this depends on the above questions i.e. Squadrons Theatres etc. The Wimpey was a fabric covering over a metal frame so you won't get much in the way of "chipping" etc except on the metal parts like the engine cowls, exhausts, Oleo's etc. It would probably be black and camoflage (i.e. green, brown), black on the bottom and camo on the top. Having said that it could of been all black again it depends on the Squadron etc. As to the type of paint, well I'd recommend a base coat of acrylic with oil based enamels and oils for weathering etc (but I'm bias).
I'd look at getting some CA (super glue) if you are doing a 1/48 Wimpey it's going to be big so using CA as spot welds will help. You can then run the liquid glue in to the frames as it uses capiliary action and is "drawn" in to the gaps where it "welds/melts" the two halves together.
Tools vary, I have a shed load of tools that do different things. Basic tools are a knife, some differing grit papers for sanding and if you want to do recessed panel lines then a scribing tool. This is just the basic tools there isn't really a limit as to the amount you can hoard :D
I wouldn't recommend a canister, they have a tendancy to drop in pressure half way through the run as they can't keep it up long enough (said the actress to the bishop). I can't recommend a compressor enough. If you have the cash/room go for one with a holding tank. This will help to maintain a constant pressure and will reduce the pulsing effect.
There are some paints that brush well, I find Testors do a nice range of enamels that go on well. Acrylics tend to dry too quick to be used in large areas by hand.
I hope that helps in some small way, I'm sure everyone else will have differing opinons that's the nature of modelling (and the beauty).
Gary.

The trumpeter kit in 1/48 is the way to go its a superb kit i had one but sold it on ebay you can get after market decals for these aircraft but i am not cirtain which squadrons you can get go for it you won,t regret it raf .BB

Lee, as this is going to be a model of a relative's aircraft, I agree with Gary - it's worth spending a lot of time on research, planning and preparation, even before you buy any Wellington kit. Always remember the 7 'P's' - Perfect Planning and Preparation Prevent P*ss Poor Performance!
This research alone could take some time- maybe days, possibly months, if you want to get the model as accurate as possible. Then there's the collection and assembly of the tools, paints and other neccessary equipment. I would reccomend that you practice first, by building and painting any kit, working to the best of your abilities, but being prepared for errors and tears! (OK, maybe not tears, but certainly lots of sweraing!!) Then, when you feel that you can tackle this special model, start carefully and slowly - there's no rush, unless you have a particular deadline to meet. The more patience and care put into building and painting a model, with attention to detail, not neccessarily detail work, but such things as joints, seams, sprue attachment marks etc, the better the finished product will be.
If you think it would help, and you can wait a couple of weeks so that I can fit it in, I'm prepared to write a basic guide, which will hopefully cover all the points needed, from research, preparation (of the model) through construction, to finishing. OK, some of it might be brief, but at least it will give you the basics, from which you can then formulate specific questions.
Let me know if this suggestion appeals to you, and I'll get to work as soon as possible.
Terry.

Last edited:
Trackie , because you are going to start modelling I don't suggest to use the cyanoacrylate glues.Use any one of these standard glues for sterene.I think it can be the Revell one or Tamiya.Also it is quite important that the glue container was "equipped" with a needle which makes the glue applyiing easier.For bigger surfaces a glue can be with a brush.There are offered glues with it attached to a bottle cap ( Gunze or Mr.Hobby for instance.).Also some sandpaper of 800-2200 grade will be needed.Concerning tools I think a sharp knife or what is better a scalpel, a file ( these for jewellers are very nice ) and and a few thin drills.For painting an airbrush and a mini compressor are welcome the most but a couple of brushes with different tips can be enough as well.

Sorry Lib it was BK540 not AL340 dont know were I got that other from obviously a senior moment
this is the link to the flight records
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/uncle-denniss-flight-record-3077.html

Thanks for the info lads My wife's a nurse practioner so I can get some scalples from her and I have a set of ultra fine model drills and a drill I use for circuit boards, I assume see below these should do the trick? Wurger

So phases one then is research? guys, fair enough will do

any help is gratefully recieved Airframe an idiot sheet would be wonderful as long as you dont us long words like, if, but or and
if this comes out ok ill buy you all a self assembly pint of beer:D

cheers Lee

Attachments

• DR1411.jpg
    DR1411.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 124
  • MRPDR4001.jpg
    MRPDR4001.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Looking good Lee I cannot see any drill size though.The useful drill sizes are of 0.1mm-4mm.

G'day Lee!

Just did a check on 429 sqn, and apparently the Wellingtons they used were Mk.III's and X's, not Mk.I's. Squadron codes were AL.

According to this site, BK540 was Wellington Mk.III AL-C :
http://www.429sqn.ca/429sqnacidwell.htm

There are a few MAJOR detail differences between the I and the III - beam gun positions added, nose windows deleted, 4 gun tail turret fitted, and engine and cowling changes - so if Trumpeter's 1:48 kit dosen't come with MK.III parts aswell (dosen't appear to have the beam gun position window cutouts for example), you're better to go 1:72.

Other sites that may be of interest:
http://www.429sqn.ca/429sqnphotos.htm
No. 429 Bison Squadron (RCAF) during the Second World War

Good luck with the project, especially as it has a personal connection!

Evan

Last edited:
The sizes go from 0.1 to 4.5 Wuger so thats saved me getting some for the job.
Thats terrific info A4K Ive not seen that before thanks a load for that. Erich got me the flight records some time ago he also manage to discover that the aircraft that shot it down was most likely a ME110 as they claimed Wellington kills that night in the area and no others.
great stuff guys
Lee

Just had a butchers wurger brilliant thanks a million I have to be carefull how much time i spend on here as Im at work ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back