Were there any enemy planes at the D-Day landings? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fw190A-3, Wk-Nr 0552, With Black Double Chevron and personal ace of hearts +Jutta marking.

Cheers
GT

Priller mentions that he thought he and his wing man would never survive the flight over the beaches due to gunfire and now we have a lumbering Ju88 making a run. It may have been so but I need to see more than one reference to it. I did a quick search and that link is the only one I've seen so far

Agree with you guys. I'm learning to be suspicious of one obscure reference stuff.
They may be accurate but on the other hand...... maybe not.

Then the article throws in a "Caidinism" with this threadworn nugget:
Indeed, American and British ground forces shot down a number of their own airplanes, the exception being the P-38 Lightning, nicknamed the "Fork Tailed Devil" by German soldiers. Its distinctive twin-boom design made it easy for ground personnel to recognize and, therefore, refrain from firing at it.

Then the article throws in a "Caidinism" with this threadworn nugget:
I once read( so it may or may not be true) that the fork tailed devil monicur stems from a single German foot soldier that refered to the p38s as such after being captured apparently due to them being so quiet the foot soldiers couldn't hear them comming like other types.
Anyway, a war correspondent herd or overheard this and the rest is history as they say. So there may actually be a small cornel of truth in the root of the fork tailed devil name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back