Were there any enemy planes at the D-Day landings?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BH

the V1 launch sites were in the Pas de Calais area.

JaFu II made about 23 claims of Allied a/c in the vicinity of Normandy on June 6. http://jg26.vze.com/ > see bottom for Tony Woods link

As Mosman said, I think only 2 Fw190s flown by Priller and Wodarczyk from JG26 actually flew over the landing beaches.

It's my understanding that on D-Day 2 German planes flew over the beaches. Also the Fleet/beaches had a fighter cover consisting of P-38s only to provide Identifiable cover to the very nervous defense teams on the ships.

NOTE: this is over the beaches/ships, inland it was another story with a lot of tacticle flying including B-17/B-24 raids on German defensive positions inland!

cheddar cheese said:
Weren't the 2 German planes 109's?

I think, so Priller comes to mind but that might just be me being silly again. I got that from the book JG-26 by Don Caldwell I think, I didn't check and confirm.

I believe this is the plane he flew on D-day. After rummaging a bunch of pictures of different planes he had.. :lol:

plane.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back