Were you ever in the Armed Forces

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No, no, I meant the Canadian armoured crews do the complaining, not your boys, and by "We had 'em first" I meant between the Canadian Navy and our armoured forces. Are you sure the beret was influenced in the US Army by us? I'd never heard of that being the case.

Although it does have a nice ring to it. ;)

Are you sure? I read somewhere that the Canadian Army had an influence with the beret on the US military. Aw well.

My Cadet Battalion Commander who is in the Army Reserves is allowed to wear his beret during uniform inspection. To me the beret looks better with the Class A and B than with the Garrison Cap.

Seawitch said:
Hi P38 Pilot....no, however, the Regiment has it's deepest roots in America.
Ever heard of Rogers Rangers?
The name 'Green Jacket'' stems from the Regiment wearing just that instead of Red Coats.
To quote a few lines fron the Regiments website:
They were the first to wear green uniform as camouflage rather than red, to fire the more accurate rifle instead of muskets and to react much faster to bugle calls for the open order tactics which replaced rigid squares. Their reputation ensured they were first to be selected for employment as motor battalions on the ground and as glider landed troops from the air.

Very interesting history. I looked up Roger's Rangers. Very interesting military history especially during the French-Indian War.

Uh Huh.

And the Canadians thought the Beret up all on their lonesome, which influenced the US Military.

You just Go Girl.

(Excuse the extreme sarcasm). HALOOOOO.. Anyone home in the P-38 cockpit?

I do like that the Rangers, Special Forces, and Airborne have their own distinct berets anyway.

Most of the army hates the beret. We all wished we could go back to the Patrol Cap. There was no shaping involved nothing, just put in on your head and go, plus it blocked the sun out of your eys.

The Germans actually many differnt color berets.

Maroon - Airborne/Aviation/KSK
Red - Artillery/Engineers/Communications (signal)/Intell/Psych Ops/Anti Aircraft/Supply/NBC/Electronic Warfare/Transportion/Topography/
Black - Armour/Anti Tank units
Green - Infantry/Mechanized Infantry/Specialized Infantry/Armoured Infantry/Ceremonial Guards/ Military Bands
Blue - Medical

That is not the only way to see what there branch is though. Each branch has there own Beret device that is worn on the beret. The Devices are wreaths with some kind of motive in it. For instance the device for Airbone Troops is a wreath with an eagle diving through it.

Canadian beret colours (which are still near identical to the British):

Rifle Green (or CF Green) - infantry/artillery/engineers/signals/logistics and support
Maroon - paratroops
Black - armoured
Scarlet - military police
Tan - special operations (JTF2, CSOR)

The Navy wears black, and the Air Force wear postman blue berets on occasion, in addition to their sidecaps. SAR techs wear blaze orange.

Uh Huh.

And the Canadians thought the Beret up all on their lonesome, which influenced the US Military.

You just Go Girl.

(Excuse the extreme sarcasm). HALOOOOO.. Anyone home in the P-38 cockpit?

Haha. Your a real stand-up comedian...And I did read somewhere that the Canadians influenced us with the beret. And yeah, "LUCY, IM HOME!!"

DerAlderIstGelandet said:
Most of the army hates the beret. We all wished we could go back to the Patrol Cap. There was no shaping involved nothing, just put in on your head and go, plus it blocked the sun out of your eys.

Are you kidding? The beret looks a hell of a lot better than a garrison cap. I wish our battalion would issue us berets.

Wore the thing back and forth to work for the most part. We were probably one of the slacker trades in the forces for spit and polish

You can't get much slacker than submarines, for dress. :lol:

Berets have been authorized for back and forth wear for years now. Almost a decade now I think. In fact, I think the Army did away with the forage cap completely. Berets only.

God, I couldn't imagine having to wear a beret in the Australian heat!

Mind you, I've seen pics of the fellas in Afghanistan with their berets on. Man, that must be uncomfortable. Still not as hot as Australia I'd imagine.

Beret is ok for base.

Give me a nice floppy bush hat any day for operations.

Comfortable, stick muck in it for camo, wipe sweat off.

Keeps the sweat out of your eyes.

Sweat rag round the neck and a good bush hat.

Lubly Jubly.

And it depends on night time and day time temps what you want to be wearing.

A good black wool beany hat was always in the belt kit as a part of the survival routine.

Say what you will, but if I can keep me nut warm I can think. If I can think, I can survive.

And I have picked up a few non thinkers before now.

Ahhh, what do I know about life in the bush? Boat goes down, boat comes up (hopefully), what's on for scran, and when can I have my next beer? :dontknow:

You ditch diggin' mud monkeys can hash out the desert and woodsy fashions for yourselves.

Ahhh, what do I know about life in the bush? Boat goes down, boat comes up (hopefully), what's on for scran, and when can I have my next beer? :dontknow:

You ditch diggin' mud monkeys can hash out the desert and woodsy fashions for yourselves.

Yeah well you Parrot Shouldered Pisshead Pirates cant even remember to close F*cking hatch before sub-merging,:lol: I know its early to make jokes about that, but i think i have over-used the helicopter crash bit a little too much :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back