What are you doing now?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I used to build/maintain LEO patrol vehicles, I'd apply a dab of superglue to the screw threads that held the console's faceplates in place.
The superglue wasn't meant to lock the screws (they were #6-32 x 1/2" security Torx) in place, it was to protect the threads from being rusted by spilt coffee and sodas.

The glue's compounds created a plasticized layer which worked perfectly.

Unfortunately, there was no way to protect the equipment (radio controlheads, light/siren controller, etc.) from the above mentioned liquids, which would ruin switches, potentiometers and even eat away the copper and solder on circuit boards!

In 1963, working at Kodak New Orleans district office, I became aware of Eastman 910 instant glue. I did not get to use any until I was in the service dept where it was available as a tool. I built plastics and balsa models then and it was not very satisfactory for either, but worked well on skin. Almost permanent. An interesting call to the office one morning, the day after Mardi Gras day, a woman wanted to know how to get her artificial eyelashes off. At that time, none of us knew of a solvent and I had always had to lose skin when building models. The woman was told there was no way and to cut her eyelashes and be very glad she hadn't got any in her eyes as it would glue her eyelid to her eyeball permanently. Several years later a formula designed for balsa from another company called "Hot Stuff.""

I'm looking for useful information about my grandfather, missing during the Second World War, on board a CANT.Z 506.
I hope to find out more and more. :)

In 1963, working at Kodak New Orleans district office, I became aware of Eastman 910 instant glue. I did not get to use any until I was in the service dept where it was available as a tool. I built plastics and balsa models then and it was not very satisfactory for either, but worked well on skin. Almost permanent. An interesting call to the office one morning, the day after Mardi Gras day, a woman wanted to know how to get her artificial eyelashes off. At that time, none of us knew of a solvent and I had always had to lose skin when building models. The woman was told there was no way and to cut her eyelashes and be very glad she hadn't got any in her eyes as it would glue her eyelid to her eyeball permanently. Several years later a formula designed for balsa from another company called "Hot Stuff.""

Hot Stuff is what we used when assembling acrylic frames. We'd apply the CA to one spar of the joint, and spray the accelerant they produced to the other spar, and that was that. In a minute or two, all four joints cured completely and you could wave the frame in the air.

Protip for removing CA: nail-polish remover. No muss, no fuss, just wash your hands immediately afterwards because acetone isn't good for you.

The Eastman 910 was unaffected by acetone. On one trip the home office, Rochester, I found the library and looked for other formulas of their CA adhesive. I was interested in which one was used to cement the aluminum handles to the optical glass guides used in several machines. Since the glass surface was exactly flat and the aluminum handle was also milled smooth and perfectly flat, when they were assembled two fine hairs similar to a camel hair paint brush is used as a spacer when glued together. The only way I had ever separated them was to put the aluminum on the kitchen stove and heat until it turned loose. This metal to class cement was apparently Eastman 933 however back in the late 70s the smallest amount available was 1 gallon at $154 per gallon.

Enjoying a Yuengling Hershey's Chocolate Porter. Damned good beer, but too rich and sweet to enjoy more than one or two at a time.

YuengHershey_12ozNRDraft_w.jpg

Okay, maybe three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back