What book are you reading ??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have always had an interest in those very few Americans (TBH I thought there were only 7) that fought in the BoB, but I've been put off looking into their RAF career because I get so annoyed by those Americans that have watched Pearl Harbour too many times and take it for gospel. Shame really...

...anywho, I'm reading Roman Warfare then I'll read Barbarians then I've got 3 Para to read ('cos I didn't finish it.)

Plan D, from what it says in the book, Pilot Officer Hugh William Reilley of 66 Squadron has been historicaly recorded as a Canadian though he is American. I am not very far into the book (and I do not have it here with me now) but I do believe he came over with a Canadian unit and thats why he has not been listed as American.

Dougrd, I am about 1/3 the way through it and am really enjoying it. I think it is well researched and written. He has two other books as well, as soon as I get throught the stack beside my bed I think I will pick them up.

Great! and I've got a Barnes Noble Booksellers gift card and they're having a 25% off sale this week online........decisions,decisions :rolleyes:

Interesting, Eco. I'll have to read up on them at some point, they certainly deserve Great Britains respect.

At moment researching aircraft details more than reading as such at the moment, but have been rediscovering Terry Pratchett recently - he's written a heap of books since I last read him in NZ. Love those Discworld books!

Just started John Costello's "The Pacific War". The newly revealed
history of the origins and conduct of World War II, in the Pacific, based
on hitherto secret archives.

Charles

My parcels came - 11 new fantasy novels, I am a happy bunny... :D

book_pile.jpg

Excellent, Rochie. I'm only on chapter 5 at the moment but it's largely backing up what was said in Sniper One about military/civilian "co-operation" and the ability of our troops in the field - top notch. If you haven't read Sniper One, I would recommend it.

I finished reading Eisenhower's book "Crusade in Europe" not long ago. I also got De Gaulle's book but it was the wrong one, not about WWII but a bunch of {French} political stuff so I gave up. I found a book of Zhukov's memoirs today at a used book sale so that will be next. {if I can find time!} :D

I'm rereading Ryan's A Bridge Too Far. I read it first time some 30-35 years ago. While reading it I'm cross-checking its info against Fürbringer's 9.SS-Panzer Division, Tieke's Im Feuersturm letzter Kriegsjahre, Zwarts' German Armoured Units at Arnhem, Delaforce's The Fighting Wessex Wyverns and Altes' Veld's The Forgotten Battle. Because of my system the reading is taking much more time but IMHO I'll get fuller picture on what really happened.

Juha

How the Irish saved Cilivilization :The untold story of Ireland's Heroic role from the fall of Rome to the Rise of Medieval Europe by Thomas Cahill

Just started this last week and so far I'm enjoying it but haven't gotten enough through it to really make a verdict yet.
Art in DC

"Retribution" by Max Hastings. About the end of the war in the Pacific. That and his book about Bomber Command in WW2. Hastings is a great writer, definitely enjoying his stuff.

Also, one about technical trading in financial markets and a book by John Keegan on the battle going on in Colleges over the History of the 2nd World War.

I'm, as always, doing a lot of reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back