What book are you reading ??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's been a couple of months since this thread was visited, so I'm going to
tell you about the book I just started. "The Thousand Mile War", by Brian
Garfield. It's about 402 pages...... oh, you mean the topic ! It's about
WW-II in Alaska and the Aleutians. Lots of blow-by-blow action.

I finally finished "Bodyguard of Lies" (Two volumes). Excellent reading.

Charles

2nd TAC A/F July 44 till Bodenplatte, Classic Pubs, volume 2 by Shores and Thomas

a blow by blow daily/nightly log book though some of the entries are a bit frustrating comparing the actual losses listing to what is written in the text. Think the RAF profiles of the Spits/Tempests are a bit dark on the grey side, think it should be much lighter than shown in the colour

"The Anglo-Saxon Chronicles" translatted by Anne Savage. (Waiting for the guffaws)

I'm not laughing; I have perused the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles, but nobody I know has ever actually tried to read the entire extant Chronicles. If that interests you (I think you may be joking), then try The Mabinogion, a collection of poems of pre-Christian Celtic mythology. To add insult to injury (?), I actually have an Anglo-Saxon/English dictionary. Very interesting. A lot of the words don't need translating, per se, we use them everyday anyway.

But getting back to the original subject matter . . . . .

I am (currently) reading The Utility Of Force: The Art Of War In The Modern World, by Rupert Smith.

"Hatching an Air Force" by Peter Ilbery. A history of training under the EATS in Australia and where some of its trainees ended up fighting in WWII.

Just started " If Football is a Religion Why Don't We have a Prayer" about the Philadelphia Eagles drive to the Super Bowl in 2004.

And SoD I wasn't joking. I have several books on early Anglo-Saxon and mythologies including the Prose Edda and Grendel among others. Comes from my Tolkien fixation. And don't ask me how to corollate that with the book I'm currently reading. I have no answer. :lol:

You ought to try some Word Origin Dictonaries. I have three and its wild where some of our words came from.

And SoD I wasn't joking. I have several books on early Anglo-Saxon and mythologies including the Prose Edda and Grendel among others. Comes from my Tolkien fixation. And don't ask me how to corollate that with the book I'm currently reading. I have no answer. :lol:

You ought to try some Word Origin Dictonaries. I have three and its wild where some of our words came from.

Sweet! Which translation of the Edda do you have? The Sturluson one?

Yeah, I have a Tolkein fixation, also; I have the complete series of The History Of Middle-Earth, Volumes I-IV, by Christopher Tolkein, but I haven't managed to wade my way through it yet. Haven't read the Prose Edda yet either, but I have read Beowulf and The Battle Of Maldon (translated, of course) several times.

Robert Jordan! I can't belive that he died! How rude! And I read all 11 (and New Spring) books to.

Temeraire (series) by Naomi Novik
Inheritance (trilogy) by Christopher Paoilni
The Saga of the Seven Suns (series) by Kevin J. Anderson
the Ender series by Orson Scott Card
and more...

I think the work on the 2nd TAF is excellent, Erich. I'm sure it'll help you greatly with the RAF night fighter claims.

I'm reading 3 Para at the moment, it's about the Para Battle Group in Afghanistan 2006

Op. Waterloo was quite immense and really did some damage, Gnomey, but you never hear of it anywhere. Of course they'd be no mention of such a large scale operation in the media.

Oh forgot one..

Matthew Reiley - 7 Ancient Wonders

( Need to get back into reading and writing considering I should be starting a course on it in a few months )

Op. Waterloo was quite immense and really did some damage, Gnomey, but you never hear of it anywhere. Of course they'd be no mention of such a large scale operation in the media.

Yeah, pretty much all the events covered in the book weren't covered in the media. To get the full idea of what is going on you have to read on the first hand accounts...

Just finished "The 1000 Mile War", and have started "Silent Victory".
This is two volumes of the submarine war against Japan. Written by
Clay Blair, Jr.

Charles

Just started Biggest Brother: The life of Major Dick Winters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back