What Do Your Usernames Mean?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I thought that Nicolai Tesla invented the radio? Thoughts?
Heinrich Hertz, Oliver Lodge, Nicola Tesla, Gulgemia Marconi, Nikolai Popov, and a host of others all had pieces of the puzzle. As is usually the case, "may the man with the best PR win". Marconi (partly due to his wealth and aristocratic standing) managed to be the most visible and high profile of the lot. He was the one most dedicated to the practical use of "Hertzian waves", where as many of the others tended to view them as useless but fascinating phenomena. Tesla and Popov were also practical minded, but neither was able to establish as much visibility and credibility as Marconi, despite having their own private bands of disciples and supporters, some of which linger on into the present.
Cheers,
Wes

Heinrich Hertz, Oliver Lodge, Nicola Tesla, Gulgemia Marconi, Nikolai Popov, and a host of others all had pieces of the puzzle. As is usually the case, "may the man with the best PR win". Marconi (partly due to his wealth and aristocratic standing) managed to be the most visible and high profile of the lot. He was the one most dedicated to the practical use of "Hertzian waves", where as many of the others tended to view them as useless but fascinating phenomena. Tesla and Popov were also practical minded, but neither was able to establish as much visibility and credibility as Marconi, despite having their own private bands of disciples and supporters, some of which linger on into the present.
Cheers,
Wes
Thank you for that. Yes, it seems that although Marconi used quite a bit of Tesla's technology, it was Marconi's access to British aristocracy, Andrew Carnegie, and Thomas Edison that was of most assistance. It is not what you know, but who you know.

The Alison V-1710-119 was the powerplant used in the XP-51J lightweight Mustang, and in the XP-82A. It was one of the last versions of the V-1710 produced and unlike some of the earlier engines, the -119 had an effective integral two stage supercharger and aftercooler, similar to the Merlin. NAA test pilot Robert Chilton, who is credited with flying more individual P-51's than any other pilot, once commented that the XP-51J was his favorite variant.

When I joined this forum years ago I lived in a house with a very large horse chestnut ("conker") tree in the garden. It used to rain conkers every autumn.

Nowadays I live in a house by the side of a river called the Poulter, so everywhere else I'm "Poulterside". this is the only place where "Conkerking" is still in use. :)

When I joined this forum years ago I lived in a house with a very large horse chestnut ("conker") tree in the garden. It used to rain conkers every autumn.

Nowadays I live in a house by the side of a river called the Poulter, so everywhere else I'm "Poulterside". this is the only place where "Conkerking" is still in use. :)
Is that the game where opponents try to break the other guy's "conker"? I believe the best conkers have passed through a pig.

That's the one. People would have you believe that it no longer exists because of the "health and safety brigade". The thing about the pig is interesting.
I can't remember where or when I heard that. It had to be some "fluff" news piece. An elderly and delightfully eccentric gentleman was interviewed. He shared both enthusiasm for the sport and that secret.

Sandstorm. I'm a biker and have lived in the desert southwest for nearly 40 years. Member of the Christian Motorcyclists Association.

Mustanglimey
Im on my 3rd mustang (car) like American muscle cars...and
8D33BD97-AC24-4CC8-BCA3-E07C9522B6D8.jpeg
I'm a Limey 😬

Had a friend that called himself LazyBee45, who was a fan of LazyBees and was 45 at the time so when I was around 55 I started to use Tord55, which of sort stuck. A LazeBee was a model aircraft designed by Andy Clancy in the '90s, and that now is back in production! Anyway, I've used it soon for 15 years.

Yosmite Sam. Pronounced 'yo-SIM-e-tee'. A cartoon character I liked in my youth. He was an aggressive, gunslinging prospector, outlaw, and cowboy with a hair-trigger temper and a 'Napolean complex.' Other than me not being short, my wife says that our personalities are very similar. Can't imagine such.

Yosmite Sam. Pronounced 'yo-SIM-e-tee'. A cartoon character I liked in my youth. He was an aggressive, gunslinging prospector, outlaw, and cowboy with a hair-trigger temper and a 'Napolean complex.' Other than me not being short, my wife says that our personalities are very similar. Can't imagine such.
If she's still your wife, she's either lying, or a true saint! Probably the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back