What Do Your Usernames Mean?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nah, it's a reference to outlaw Citizens Band operators with high power transmitters and sky-skip antennas. A very 70s thing. "Breaker one-nine for the Rubber Duck." Working the skip to Oz.
Had a nice base station back in day (in Southern California) that had a 4 element Moonraker on the business end, which had 11db gain with a 1-flat match in the low 27MHz range.

The base was tube-type junk made by Knight and covered 10 - 11 meters with upper and lower sideband.
Audio was via an Astatic D104 "lollipop" and there may or may not have been a "foot-warmer" helping the TX/RX.

I'd go 10-8 on 27.175 and get radio checks from Florida! :lol:

Had a nice base station back in day (in Southern California) that had a 4 element Moonraker on the business end, which had 11db gain with a 1-flat match in the low 27MHz range.

The base was tube-type junk made by Knight and covered 10 - 11 meters with upper and lower sideband.
Audio was via an Astatic D104 "lollipop" and there may or may not have been a "foot-warmer" helping the TX/RX.

I'd go 10-8 on 27.175 and get radio checks from Florida! :lol:
Now THAT is jargon!!!! Reminds me of listening to and trying to understand my sister's Geordie boyfriend, Malcolm. Great guy, but "Please repeat that for me Malcolm, a bit slower this time......let's grab another beer."
I had a buddy in the seventh decade of the previous century. He had what he called a "linear" CB transmitter in in his Chevy Van. I guess it could really reach out and touch somebody. 10-4!!

In a previous life, I worked at a 50,000-watt, clear-channel AM radio station in Spokane, WA, KGA, 1510. It had a detuned 100,000-watt ex-military transmitter. You could walk inside it. The tubes were the size of turkey-frying kettles. On the wall, there was a framed letter from a U.S. serviceman who listened quite regularly from Helsinki, Finland. The skip was rolling.

Talking on amateur was much more fun than years later, working on Public Safety two-way equipment.

Had to be professional and such, so a typical TX would be:
Me: "Radio service, testing one, two, three...radio service clear"
Dispatch: "Radio service, 10-2"
Me: "Shascom, 10-4, thank you. Radio service clear"

Boring stuff, really. "Shascom" is Shasta County's inter-agency dispatch for Fire, EMS and LEO, by the way.

Talking on amateur was much more fun than years later, working on Public Safety two-way equipment.

Had to be professional and such, so a typical TX would be:
Me: "Radio service, testing one, two, three...radio service clear"
Dispatch: "Radio service, 10-2"
Me: "Shascom, 10-4, thank you. Radio service clear"

Boring stuff, really. "Shascom" is Shasta County's inter-agency dispatch for Fire, EMS and LEO, by the way.
I knew a couple guys from Redding in college at University of Idaho. Jim Bryant and Butch Jones. Jim passed away a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back