What Do Your Usernames Mean?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1/A/1/120th Inf NCNG, Caldwell and Warhorse.

NCNG at Caldwell. Small world.

We would fly into there quite often. I was B Co 2-1 Aviation Bn, 1st Infantry Div. out of Katterbach, Germany. We flew UH-60 Blackhawks.

In fact my aircraft broke at Caldwell one time. Had a tail rotor GB chip light. We spent all day broke on your helipad because we ran out of duty time, and had to spend the night (day) resting in the acft. lol

We would fly into Warhorse every day as well.

NCNG at Caldwell. Small world.

We would fly into there quite often. I was B Co 2-1 Aviation Bn, 1st Infantry Div. out of Katterbach, Germany. We flew UH-60 Blackhawks.

In fact my aircraft broke at Caldwell one time. Had a tail rotor GB chip light. We spent all day broke on your helipad because we ran out of duty time, and had to spend the night (day) resting in the acft. lol

We would fly into Warhorse every day as well.

Did you guys do any med evacs?

SpitfireSteve, this was the first aircraft I restored to flying condition, a MkXVI back in 1982/3. Have also done MkXVII Seafire, part restorations on other Spits but also restoring a MkII at the moment, pulled out of the River Severn years ago, If I get time. I'm also doing a Gloster Gladiator. Worked on various other types but Spifires mainly

Did you guys do any med evacs?

No that was 45th Med that did evacs.

We were 1st ID's GSAB. We would do whatever support the Division needed. Resupply, Recon, Combat Air Assaults, etc.. Mostly we did what we jokingly called "Combat Air Taxi". We would take off from Speicher at first light, and fly a big round Robin...

Speicher - Victory (Saddams Palaces in Tikrit) - Warhorse - Balad - Baghdad - Balad - Warhorse -Victory - Tikrit - Kirkuk - Tikrit

All the other bases such as Caldwell, Mosul, Najaf, Babylon would be sprinkled in there.

We also did the "Hero Missions" at night, flying the fallen soldiers to Balad to go home.

Been here three years and just stumbled across this thread today. My username's pretty self explanatory. Happiest time of my flying career was 6 1/2 years in the Beech 1900 airliner (ATC code: Be02) with the commuter airline that was the launch customer and owned the prototype of the B model, N6667L, UB1. In many ways (weight, power, and speed) she was an analog to the A20 Havoc and certainly at least as, if not more agile. If she were stressed for a few more G's, she would have made a great little COIN fighter plane. She could do unheard of things for an airliner, such as shedding 5,000 feet of altitude AND 50 knots airspeed while turning 180°, all in under 3 minutes, and all without making the passengers nervous. An attribute ATC often found useful in busy terminal airspace. She had two marvelous speed brakes, each with four blades, and each attached to the business end of a 1200 HP PT6. Judicious manipulation of the power levers and trim could drop you from cruise into a 2500-3000 FPM descent at decreasing airspeed with a level deck, no audible change in propeller sound, and very little feel of deceleration. AND she could land on RWY 33R at Logan (BOS) at anything less than MLW. (Check that on the chart!)
It's been great getting the story behind the story on all you guys.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
We were based right next to a SAC base, and a number of their retired pilots signed on with us as new hire FOs. It was worth the price of admission to see their expressions when we accepted expedited descents with tight crossing restrictions from ATC.
"MetroAir 2610, Boston, expedite, descend to cross BOSOX at six thousand, speed one nine zero. Can you make that restriction?"
"Affirmative, 2610's out of one zero thousand for six, reducing to one nine zero."
"Roger 2610, contact Approach one one eight point two five. Good day."
"YOU'RE CRAZY, SON! We're only eight miles out at ten and two forty! No way we can do that."
"Yes we can. Just ease the power levers slowly back to flight idle, and keep the deck level with trim, then at two hundred knots start bringing them slowly back up, and keep trimming."
"Holy crap! We're showing three thousand down, but it doesn't feel like it!"
"Approach, MetroAir 2610 with information tango through seven thousand for BOSOX at six, one nine zero knots."
"MetroAir 2610, radar contact, after BOSOX, descend and maintain four thousand, speed one eighty. Information uniform just came up, winds three zero zero at one five, gusts two five. Six hundred scattered, ceiling eight hundred broken, visibility one mile, variable one and a half in rain showers and fog. Expect vectors runway three three left ILS, can you accept a sidestep to three three right today?"
"Affirmative, 2610 can step right if the visibility holds. BOSOX now, out of six for four, slowing one eighty."
"Nice job, Colonel. Now that wasn't all that difficult was it? I'm surprised Ross didn't demonstrate that in training. Out here we do it all the time."
BTW, RWY 33R, back in the day, was 2650 feet long, with water at both ends and no arresting gear or overrun protection. (2 1/2 aircraft carriers.)
Cheers
Wes

Last edited:
No that was 45th Med that did evacs.

We were 1st ID's GSAB. We would do whatever support the Division needed. Resupply, Recon, Combat Air Assaults, etc.. Mostly we did what we jokingly called "Combat Air Taxi". We would take off from Speicher at first light, and fly a big round Robin...

Speicher - Victory (Saddams Palaces in Tikrit) - Warhorse - Balad - Baghdad - Balad - Warhorse -Victory - Tikrit - Kirkuk - Tikrit

All the other bases such as Caldwell, Mosul, Najaf, Babylon would be sprinkled in there.

We also did the "Hero Missions" at night, flying the fallen soldiers to Balad to go home.

Then you may have flown a couple of our guys out after the go round in Baqubah on June 24th and about a week later me and 5 others were trying to get back to Warhorse from Baghdad and some general I ended up talking too got us put on a flight to Balad. Other than that and I think we were gonna end up walking bac!

Been here three years and just stumbled across this thread today. My username's pretty self explanatory. Happiest time of my flying career was 6 1/2 years in the Beech 1900 airliner (ATC code: Be02) with the commuter airline that was the launch customer and owned the prototype of the B model, N6667L, UB1. In many ways (weight, power, and speed) she was an analog to the A20 Havoc and certainly at least as, if not more agile. If she were stressed for a few more G's, she would have made a great little COIN fighter plane. She could do unheard of things for an airliner, such as shedding 5,000 feet of altitude AND 50 knots airspeed while turning 180°, all in under 3 minutes, and all without making the passengers nervous. An attribute ATC often found useful in busy terminal airspace. She had two marvelous speed brakes, each with four blades, and each attached to the business end of a 1200 HP PT6. Judicious manipulation of the power levers and trim could drop you from cruise into a 2500-3000 FPM descent at decreasing airspeed with a level deck, no audible change in propeller sound, and very little feel of deceleration. AND she could land on RWY 33R at Logan (BOS) at anything less than MLW. (Check that on the chart!)
It's been great getting the story behind the story on all you guys.
Cheers,
Wes

Sounds like you didn't really like driving that bus!

Then you may have flown a couple of our guys out after the go round in Baqubah on June 24th and about a week later me and 5 others were trying to get back to Warhorse from Baghdad and some general I ended up talking too got us put on a flight to Balad. Other than that and I think we were gonna end up walking bac!

Sounds like you didn't really like driving that bus!

My first combat air assault was outside of Bacquba. Good possibility it was our unit that flew you to Warhorse.

Just made an account today. My username mostly just reflects my personality and ironic sense of humor. I randomly came up with the name in middle school and I just liked the sound of it I guess. After making sure nobody else was using it online almost all the accounts for anything I made use this name

Well, the "p" is the first letter of my first name - Peter. The "geno" is the first four letters of my last name. "71" is my date of birth...BOOOOOORRRRING!!! Sorry guys not very creative when it comes to usernames, or I'll forget them. Take care, stay healthy

I was looking at some of your usernames and got curious about where you got them and what do they mean?

I got P38 Pilot because of 2 reasons:

1) Its my favorite WWII Aircraft
2) My great uncle was in the 1181st Engineers and built landing strips for aircraft in the Mariannas and the Phillipines during WWII. One story he told me was how a squadron of P38s landed and asked my Great Uncle who built the landing strip. He built it but said said,
"The 1181st built it."
The P38 Pilot replied, "This is the best landing strip since we were back in the States. Nice work!"
I picked mine from Medival history. I have always had an interest in Harold Hadrada and 1071 is the year the battle of Manzikert crippled the Eastern Roman empire.

Saparot is Thai for pineapple. In Thailand foreigners are called "farong". My wife's family promoted me to saparot. You know, yellow on the inside. It's my email name. I retired recently from the Long Island Railroad.
I love looking at aircraft, hate being in them. Go figure. I had been trolling this site for years. I have a deep bias for American aviation. If it ain't American, it ain't. Okay, the Spitfire gets a pass. Maybe the Whirraway. Hey I almost forgot the Mosquito and then there's the.........
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back