What Do Your Usernames Mean?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nah, it's a reference to outlaw Citizens Band operators with high power transmitters and sky-skip antennas. A very 70s thing. "Breaker one-nine for the Rubber Duck." Working the skip to Oz.
Had a nice base station back in day (in Southern California) that had a 4 element Moonraker on the business end, which had 11db gain with a 1-flat match in the low 27MHz range.

The base was tube-type junk made by Knight and covered 10 - 11 meters with upper and lower sideband.
Audio was via an Astatic D104 "lollipop" and there may or may not have been a "foot-warmer" helping the TX/RX.

I'd go 10-8 on 27.175 and get radio checks from Florida!

Now THAT is jargon!!!! Reminds me of listening to and trying to understand my sister's Geordie boyfriend, Malcolm. Great guy, but "Please repeat that for me Malcolm, a bit slower this time......let's grab another beer."
I had a buddy in the seventh decade of the previous century. He had what he called a "linear" CB transmitter in in his Chevy Van. I guess it could really reach out and touch somebody. 10-4!!

In a previous life, I worked at a 50,000-watt, clear-channel AM radio station in Spokane, WA, KGA, 1510. It had a detuned 100,000-watt ex-military transmitter. You could walk inside it. The tubes were the size of turkey-frying kettles. On the wall, there was a framed letter from a U.S. serviceman who listened quite regularly from Helsinki, Finland. The skip was rolling.

Talking on amateur was much more fun than years later, working on Public Safety two-way equipment.

Had to be professional and such, so a typical TX would be:
Me: "Radio service, testing one, two, three...radio service clear"
Dispatch: "Radio service, 10-2"
Me: "Shascom, 10-4, thank you. Radio service clear"

Boring stuff, really. "Shascom" is Shasta County's inter-agency dispatch for Fire, EMS and LEO, by the way.

I knew a couple guys from Redding in college at University of Idaho. Jim Bryant and Butch Jones. Jim passed away a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread