What happened to Howard Hughes's Boeing 307 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
0002.jpg
00005.jpg
0001.jpg
Howard Hughes owned one of the 10 Boeing 307 made in the late 1930s. He had the interior lavishly rebuilt and named it "The Penthouse" The 307 is based on the B-17 using the same wings and tail. This is what it looks like today!

The Plane Boat | thepirata.com
Superuse.org: Where recycling meets design

Last edited:
They turned his plane into a frikkin BOAT???? Somehow, I feel like I need to take a shower. That's just frikkin WRONG!

There was one that crashed into a lake after running out of fuel in around 2002(?) but it was restored and put in the Smithsonian Air Museum. I think that was the only airworthy one left.

Boeing meticulously restored the last intact Model 307, going so far as having the interior fabric specially woven. The plane flew at least a few times as I''ve seen quite a few pictures of it in flight and there was an article in Air Classics Magazine about the restoration with a lot of post restoration shots. Shortly after I read the article I heard about it ditching in Puget Sound and thought it was all over, but they pulled it out, got it flying again and took it to Dulles International where it's on display at the Smithsonian museum there.
Picture 1 A post restoration flight
Pictures 3 4 The ditching
Picture 4 A picture I took a year ago at at the National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center At Dulles International

air_stratoliner11.jpg
1.jpg
800px-Boeing_307_in_Elliott_Bay.jpg
P1020445.JPG

Last edited:
Did they only make 10(!) of the 307 Stratocruiser? :shock:

Only ten :(

The first one crashed during a demonstration flight.
The second one went to Howard Hughes.
Five went to TWA
Three Went to Pan Am

Only the Boat and the one at Dulles International remain.

Thats 20%....., well maybe 15% as I think counting the boat as 1/2 is generous. That's a pretty high survival rate for aircraft of that era.

It was a beautiful aircraft. The first airliner with cabin pressurization.

307 1.jpg
307 2.jpg
307 3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back