What If...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My problem with RC in movies is then you get the Stuka scene in the Battle of Britian or it looks like Gozilla movie. But still at the time of Last Crusade the technology was available to make a special effect 109, CGI was not quite there yet.

:{)

CurzonDax said:
My problem with RC in movies is then you get the Stuka scene in the Battle of Britian or it looks like Gozilla movie. But still at the time of Last Crusade the technology was available to make a special effect 109, CGI was not quite there yet.

With CGI not there yet, how else were you going to do it, in special effects other than using 108s? I think they did the best they could do.

I guess. Maybe I am being too picky. But only one year seperated Last Crusade and Memphis Belle and in the 'Belle the used 1112s.

Still wot da 'ell brought us to this point and what does all of this have to do with "what if"? (as I beat this dead horse)

Spielberg with no money for a budget? Thats like saying the Pope's not catholic. Okay point taken. Also after doing a little research this part of the film was filmed in Romania, logistics probably were involved too.

Also point taken, I am just being picky. Still for a amature historian it must of have rankled Steven's bones not to have a 109 or even a 1112.

Well one of the great things about the state of CGI today is that we could conceivable enjoy a combat scene with the Go 229 and a P-80 and not notice much, if any, bogus-ness. I don't care what planes they use it's cool to see the "fly" again.
fing34.gif

Okay time to ressurect this list: I was reading some time ago a book by Newt Gengritch called 1945, about how the Germans were trying to kill the Manhattan Project. In this book the US went to war with the Japanese not the Germans because they never declared war on the US. My question, if both the US and the Germans had continued to develop thier arms and the thier leaders naturally, as in like some of the fantasy projects that we all would like to see fly or float, would the US and Germany eventually gone to war and who would have won. (also take economics and technology into thought). Also the book does follow actual history in the ETO from 1939 to 1941. Also without a US in the Allied mix, could have Hitler defeated Russia?

Think of how vast the Western and North African commitment was in materiel and manpower invested in by Germany. With no threatening flanks the whole weight of the German armed forces would have been available to destroy Russia.

Bush invaiding Germany ;) In the spirit of the question at the top of this page, the US would have been drawn in yes latter, after Germany had beaton England, but they would have been bogged down in the east. It would then have been beaten by the Duch and Polish resistance, among others. The empire would not have held together, but might have long enouph to shake hands with Japan someplace in Burma ;)

If America went to war with the Japanese they would win, no questions asked, and most likely hitler would not flagrantly help the japanese in fear of bringing america into the war. By the time germany beat england amd russia, japan would have been crushed. So now you have the US with forces off the russian cost, lots of forces, and maybe even some of china, which was owned by the US. Such a strong US presense and fear of the massive german empire would most likely allow an alliance between tehe victorious americans and the battered chinese. Americas massive production and industrial capabilities would be more capable than those of the germans, even if they beat both russia and england, because they had more experienced workers, had been in place longer, and morale on the homefront was always high. Germanys empire would be in a huge pincer, on two fronts. Americas Atlantic fleet would have been supplemented by more carriers and BB;s, including Montanas (most likely) and the projects designed could have come to fruition. German forces would also have to contend with chinese borders to the russian front. Now germays massive empire would need to have occupational forces and repair damage and morale on all fronts. My vite, I would say the US would emerge the victors, along with china, and then eventually would lead to a cold war with the chinese and US.

I thought that the Russians had already stopped the Germans in their tracks by the time America entered the war... The Allies landed in Normandy due to Stalin's charge that they were letting Russia do all the bleeding. The Western Front was opened to give the Russians some breathing room, in addition to the realization that Russia would eventually beat back Germany and unless the Allies wanted a communist-controlled Europe, they had to get in on the action.

True, but they were fighting the Allies on the Medditerranen front and were building the West wall. If these force had been freed up, according to the scenario, I believe they could have conquered the Soviets. Also the United States probably would not have been helping the Soviets with military aid.
What happens next would depend on the Germans using a liitle common sense in handling the conquered people. If done right, I think they could have won the support of the Russian people, presenting a unified bloc against the proposed Chinese/America forces.

Bullockracing said:
I thought that the Russians had already stopped the Germans in their tracks by the time America entered the war... The Allies landed in Normandy due to Stalin's charge that they were letting Russia do all the bleeding. The Western Front was opened to give the Russians some breathing room, in addition to the realization that Russia would eventually beat back Germany and unless the Allies wanted a communist-controlled Europe, they had to get in on the action.

The German army was stopped in Russia at Moscow, and by winter conditions.

The Allies always intended to invade Normandy, the quesiton was when. Stalin wanted it sooner than later. Eisenhower wisely planned the invasion for when he had the men, material and air supremecy to sucede.

Roger that, syscom. The German army ran up against General January and General February, and didn't have much better luck than Napoleon. Had America continued with its status quo in 1941, the Russians would have been able to push the Germans back eventually, albeit not as quickly as they did once the Normandy invasion happened. The winter of 1941 allowed the Russians to pack up their production factories and move them east of the Urals, out of reach of the German offensive. While this is only one side, the British still had pressure on the Western Front. The Germans couldn't abandon any of the other fronts to beef up the Russian front without weakening another.

Japan, already at war with china, mad about the border class in manchuria, and not fearing an american invasion might well defeat china and the move on to russia, because china wouldnt be getting american supplies, and it would most likely fall, opening up resources to the japanese who could pound the soviets. making it unwinnable for them...even if the japanese lost on their front, it would make needed russian forces they couldnt spare on their eastern front

Users who are viewing this thread

Back