What is your favorite WW2 movie

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't know if there was similar thread already but anyway...

My favorite movies on WW2 are "Enemy at the Gates" and "Stalingrad", just to name the few. Out of the "older" titles my favorite is "Patton". George C. Scot was incredible in that movie.

There is also another interesting Czech movie - "Tmavomodry svet" (Dark Blue World) on Czech pilots in RAF service during Battle of Britain.

How about you guys?
FORCE 10 FROM NAVARONE!

From a Naval standpoint, I always thought "The Enemy Below" is a great movie about Convoy duty that never gets the credit that those men and ships deserve compared to "Midway" or others more of that kind.

"Task Force" may remain the best WW2 naval aviation movie. The Midway portion is sorta generic but well done, even with a TBD mock-up. Real SBD and F4F. The radio script is out of the FDO manual. Best line, "Do you know any satisfyin' profanity?"

a great movie about Convoy duty
Did you actually watch the movie in recent history? I saw it again last week. The destroyer in the movie is on an independent mission in the South Atlantic, far from the convoy lanes. The U-boat is headed for a rendezvous with a surface raider to transfer some sensitive intelligence information. That is why both Captains are suspicious as to why the other is out here in this godforsaken corner of the ocean. It's a truly spell binding contest of minds and nerves as the two Captains duel it out in their remote patch of ocean. It's high on my list. I've been in a diesel boat sitting on the bottom in a hidey hole in the Gulf of Mexico while a P-3 testing out a new piece of ASW apparatus came looking for us. Took him just about 20 minutes. Glad we weren't a Russian boomer. One of them couldn't hope to hide anywhere in the Gulf.
Cheers,
Wes

FORCE 10 FROM NAVARONE!
Ha! I started this and never finished it.
I actually count a number of WWII movies as favourites, the following not withstanding....

Where Eagles Dare
The Battle of Britain
Saving Private Ryan
The Train
Enigma
The Heroes of Telemark
The Great Escape
633 Squadron
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (2005 - hey, it take place during the war so it counts!)
Operation Crossbow
Von Ryan's Express
Saboteur
The 39 Steps (1935)
The Lady Vanishes (1938)
The Birdmen (aka "Colditz: Escape of the Birdmen")
Raiders of The Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade

...I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head, and anyway....the hot dogs are ready. Bon Appetite! ;)

"Cross of Iron" is a really good WW2 movie, in fact i'd say its a masterpiece. Its about about a German infantry platoon on Eastern front and has many interesting storylines that are plausibly true, and realistic depictions of combat and equipment.

Cross of Iron, Sam Peckinpah's only war film, "is a forgotten masterpiece that has never really managed to overcome its troubled and expensive production."

Good call Taly01.
While watching Ice Cold in Alex (aka Desert Attack) just now, was reminded of a couple more movies I forgot to add to my prior list...…

The Dam Busters...and...Play Dirty #-o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back