What was your first car?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Watanbe

Senior Airman
Apr 24, 2007
Adelaide
Hey guys thought id start a thread about your first cars.

What was your first car?

What was great about it?

What was not so great about it?

What happened to it?

Ill get it started!

What was your first car?
Silver 5 speed 1988 Holden Barina (basically a Suzuki Swift) 1.3ltr carby 4cyclinder.

What was great about it?
Learnt how to drive manual in it. Was a family hand me down, handled fairly well and had great fun learning how to drive the magnificent Adelaide Hills in this car. Taught me how to control a car. Had some great times attempting to do burnouts and handbrakies. Slow enough that I didn't die.

Woefully underpowered at a time where I wanted to go very very fast. Was very scary when trying to overtake trucks. It wasn't exactly the coolest car on the block, I got laughed at and the girls weren't to impressed they all said it was "cute".

What happened to it?
One of my best mates now owns it. I recently sold it to him for $100 AUS and he loves it. One of my conditions for selling it so cheap was that I get to drive if on occasions.

Thankfully I have now upgraded to something a lot faster and less embarrassing!

A 1961 Ford Falcon that cost $200 it almost burnt as much oil as gas 2 weeks later I purchased a clone of the Falcon for $5 between the 2 I managed to get a decent car

Mine was a 1970 Ford Maverick 8)

Can't say anything bad about it, since it was dependable and had a straight 6 (170 cubic inches) and was cheap to put gas in. It was only 8 years old at the time and ran like it was new.

Best thing about that car was it's front bench seat...came in real handy for those trips to the drive-in movie theater with my girlfriend...

My folks made me sell it because I had another car at the time (I didn't need 2 they said)...

First car was a 1953 Plymouth 4-door, straight six, manual with the shifter on the column. Lime green it was with gold flame painted across the front and down the side. Whoever did that should have been shot. My father gave that to me.

My first car that I bought by myself was a 1963 Chevy II for $100. Ran good but was a rust bucket.

Great about it? It was mine and I did chose and bought it myself, did all the title changing and the tags. It was a good feeling for someone who was 17 at the time.

Bad about it? Great story. It had no floor, literally. The front seat was held down by only one bolt on one corner of rust that looked like continent of Africa. In other words, the seat moved. So I put a tire between the front seat and the back seat to hold the seat upright. And it was like that when I took it through inspection. Back then the inspectors actually got in the car to test the brakes. So this guy did and when he hit the brakes, the tire flew up and hit him on the back of the head.

I failed. :)

Where is it? Last I heard it was working as a boat anchor on a barge on the Delaware.

Maybe you could add what was your favorite car that you actually owned?

First car was a 1953 Plymouth 4-door, straight six, manual with the shifter on the column. Lime green it was with gold flame painted across the front and down the side. Whoever did that should have been shot. My father gave that to me.

My first car that I bought by myself was a 1963 Chevy II for $100. Ran good but was a rust bucket.

Great about it? It was mine and I did chose and bought it myself, did all the title changing and the tags. It was a good feeling for someone who was 17 at the time.

Bad about it? Great story. It had no floor, literally. The front seat was held down by only one bolt on one corner of rust that looked like continent of Africa. In other words, the seat moved. So I put a tire between the front seat and the back seat to hold the seat upright. And it was like that when I took it through inspection. Back then the inspectors actually got in the car to test the brakes. So this guy did and when he hit the brakes, the tire flew up and hit him on the back of the head.

I failed. :)

Where is it? Last I heard it was working as a boat anchor on a barge on the Delaware.

Maybe you could add what was your favorite car that you actually owned?

That is a great story mate!

My favourite and current car is my Toyota Soarer Twin Turbo. Imported from Japan, I love it looks good, is comfortable and goes fast.

What was your first car?
1977 Holden Torana 3.3L Straight Six Auto

What was great about it?
Well for all the Aussie will know how much of a beast the Torana was in its day with the 5L V8. Also my car only weighs 1100kg and isn't a shoebox.

No air con, vinyl seats, thirsty fuel consumption.

What happened to it?
Still got it, will never sell it. Will get another only with a stroked 383 (6.2L) V8.

My first car?
Mk 2 Triumph 2000, can't remember the year.
Nothing particularly great about it, but it was smooth, comfortable, held the road and went well.
It constantly overheated at first, some damn fool had put a Mk 1 cylinder head on a Mk 2 block.
Eventually I had to replace the sills, got one off then some bloke turned up, made me an offer I didn't refuse. 'Get that sill in before you remove the other one, they're structural'. If I told him once, I told him half a dozen times.
Last time I saw it, it was jacked up both ends and it's back was bust..........

I see everyone had a new car as their first one. My first car [in 1951] was
a 1939 Ford Convertable. I paid $325.00 for it and had to replace the top
immediately. The last time I saw it, it was upside down in a farmer's field
burning. All because I was going too fast and couldn't negotiate a "shoo-fly".

Do you know what a "shoo-fly" is ???

Charles

1971 Chevy Caprice with a 400" 2 barrel. Once got the whole starting line from the Penn State Rugby Team in there with a case of beer. 9 of us driving off to a game.

My first car was a mid 70's fiat X-19. i never got to drive it as it was so rusty that the front end steering components rusted away and off of the body. We had to chain the front lower control arms together to get the car on a trailer. My dad and I thought we could fix it, but we were way wrong!

Second car was another late 70's X-19, and we kept my first one as a parts car.

First car was a 1972 Grand Marquis. It was HUGE!!!!! But it also came from the factory with a 428 super modified engine. I was racing Camaro's and Mustang's and beating them with this tank.

However, two months after starting my driving career, I flipped Dino (as we called her) upside down 25 feet into a ditch.

This isn't my car, but it's the closest image I could find.

Attachments

• DasBoot.jpg
    DasBoot.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 247
My first car was a 1982 Ford Mustang GT with a 302. Was young and stupid and bought a lemon. I was only 5 years old when I bought it, but the previous owner drove the living daylights out of it. Looked nice inside and out, but the trany had been replaced and the engine probably had 130, 000 hard miles on it rather than the 30,000 he stated.
After blowing out many parts, and just getting the blown head gasket and cracked valve cover replaced, some joker ran a red light and T-boned me in the drivers door doing about 60mph.
Knocked unconcious, spend two weeks in the hospital with numerous broken ribs, lacerated spleen, ruptured diaphram, collapsed lung, broken collar bone, and other busted parts. Surgeon had to put all the internal parts on my left side back into thier proper position as everything was shifted upwards when the diaphram blew.
And the kicker is, about a month later the dealership that did the head and gasket work called back to see how the car was running (It was still blowing oil a couple days after I had picked it up).
That car was evil and I have no doubt that Satan himself is driving it in the Lower Regions!!!

My first car was a 1965 Corvair that my father bought for me in 1968 to use at college. Was the 2nd style after the ugly original. A pretty good car until my brother wrecked it in 1969.

First car that I bought was a 1965 Chevy Bel Air, manual three speed on the column. $625 in 1969.

Pictures are for illustrative purposes only; not the actual vehicles.

TO

Attachments

• 1965_corvair.jpg
    1965_corvair.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 190
  • 1965_belair.jpg
    1965_belair.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 187
1962 Singer Vogue bought in 1978 with 20,000 on the clock loved it did another 180,000 trouble free miles before I sold it for 200 quid I had only payed £300 in the first place.

Attachments

• car007-singer-vogue[1].jpg
    car007-singer-vogue[1].jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 190
My first car:

1973 VW Beetle

What did I love about it? It was a car that got me from point A to point B. Plus who does not like Bugs man???

What did I not like about it? The heater sucked!!!

What happened to it? Dad sold it for $100.

My second car was a 66 Mustang 289cid/271 hp my father said no but I bought it anyway and it was shrapnel and after a short career it accidentaly on purpose fell into the river via 130 ft drop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back