What you do, when you wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Perhaps some of bending can help. But usually guys here "stitch down " tracks at the areas where they don't fit correctly.

Here is a shot how the process of "stitching" should be done. The thing wire or thread has to run through the wheel interior around the main wheel hub and the top track. The knot should be as small as possible and can be either at the top or inside of the wheel. Just to make it unnoticable.

szycie.jpg

Last edited:
That's good work Jan, when you get a series of them together before the glue sets and they are still moveable get them in place and push them down a bit to get your sag right then let the glue dry...

I have never built armor, well not since I was a kid, but I have seen dozens of posts about the difficulties of track as well as the longest thread I have ever read on the virtues and drawbacks of various aftermarket track systems. That thread spent literally a year going back and forth on getting the correct drape depending on age of track and vehicle type. And I thought aircraft building was nuanced!

Never would have thought the age of the track would have an influence on the sag! Makes sense though - I suppose the links get looser as they wear with use.

Last edited:
There was a companion thread all about aging and weathering track, apparently they AFV modelers use burnishing fluid for this chore. There was a huge discussion over if the fluid should be agitated while the track was soaking in it, if so, how long, how often and how much agitation. I seriously thought some of these guys were going to come to electronic blows! I think I will stick to aircraft, I have learned how to handle rivet counters, don't think I can handle track drapers!

The tracks were all rubber or some sort of flexible plastic when I was into armour, and you glued or stitched the ends together. Unbelievable (to me) that they are seperate solid links now. Would definitely be more realistic though - if you have the patience...

Ok, the curmudgeon speaketh: I've made perhaps 40 tanks and never once ever worried about the appropriate track sag or the appropriate method of aging track. On many tanks the skirting hides the upper track and the idlers support most of the upper track in any case so on 1/35 scale how much sag are you really talking about? Please no offence to anyone strictly IMHO
IMG_1756R.jpg
DCP_1487.jpg
DCP_1490.jpg
DCP_1498.jpg
DCP_1501.jpg
DCP_1511.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely work! I tend to agree with you, one of the reasons I don't build armor or at least don't share any, those guys are far more critical than aircraft modelers, at least the ones I have run into. I guess track sag is their version of rivet counting.

Thanks Evan, that M41 Walker Bulldog was the last tank I built, maybe 5yrs ago. We gave those little buggers to the ARVN forces and they fit into them and loved them. US forces used the bigger M48 Pattons.
M41_of_South_Vietnamese_Army.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back