What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wouldn't mind building one of those! Great plane but those hubcabs infront of the cockpit near the guns baffle me. :)

The 'hubcaps' are the 'Beule' or 'Boils', which gave the 'G' its nickname. They're the fairings over the receivers of the 13mm machine guns, which, being much larger than the earlier 7.92mm MG17's, would not fit under the original shaped cowling without the blisters. These were smoothly faired in to the cowlibg as a metal pressing, so you might want to check the joints and add a bit of filler.

They rarely do Mags, especially on smaller scales! Also, check they are the right way around, as a few manufacturers have made mistakes in their instruction sheet drawings.

AH! That's what was bugging me! I knew I'd spotted something, but couldn't figure out what! The tailplanes seem to be a totally incorrect shape, and the elevators too. Not your fault Mags, just a very strange moulding design - unless there's something about the 'G' we don't know about!? Also, check the joints at the rear of the wing and fuselage underside, and the oil cooler. It looks like the filler or something is showing a bit in the pics.

for several weeks, I've been contemplating on how the hell I'm gonna apply a coat of primer to the Enterprise without screwing up. then I dry fitted the base to the secondary hull, and the idea popped into my head. I'll use the base as a handle whilst I spray the enterprise with primer! :D

Most likely a mould thing. I saw the 'out of look' joint areas but hoping no one else would.. :oops:

Why thank you T and Woj trusty sight incorporated, sanding more now.. :lol::lol::D

I took time off this project for about 6 months but have returned to it full tilt. I will post pics in progressive folders loaded at another site and post them here as the model progresses. It's a 1/4 scale R/C model. I have a rather good set of photo references to base internal/external details on. The kit is made by Balsa USA. Some of you well-informed about this particular crate will see some variances between the model and the real article but keep in mind it's designed as a flier and not a faithful replication in scale typical of the collective endeavor here.
SPAD XIII Build - Folder Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Some nice work thier Sweb and is that girl BIG!That will be awesomwe when you finish.Cheers Kevin

Thanks. It is taking up a lot of space. My next step is to build the cabane struts, fit them to the fuselage and then adjust the angle of incidence of the top wing. Not a very fun part of the build but a necessary detail to ensure flying performance.

just applied a coat of primer to the Enterprise, DAMN she's huge. I used up almost the whole can of primer to cover her O_O. and I've fixed up some mistakes on the Lockheed Constellation with the putty. so it's all drying, now. I should be able to continue tomorrow.

I've kind of hit a snag with my Enterprise-A model. it's bad. it fell off my desk and broke. the warp nacelle pylons broke at the glue point, but this could be a good opportunity. i've been suggested that I use a part of a metal coat hanger to strengthen the warp nacelle pylons and keep them from sagging. I thought it useless since I JUST got done stopping the starboard nacelle from sagging. so if I cut a large portion of a coat hanger and bend it so it can go through the engineering hull and have 2 ends sticking out at either side the nacelle pylons SHOULD stay at a 45 degree angle (I think that's where they're at, anyway). cos the people who made the kit made it so that you could light it up if you'd choose to. I'm going to use those holes to strengthen the warp nacelles. gravity should hold the metal rod in place. if not, i could just glue it.

right well, the coat hanger idea is out since the hole is too small in the nacelle pylons. so I'm gonna risk it and glue it as is.

I've set the ship upside down, attached one nacelle, then held up the secondary hull with a small container, then attached the other nacelle. it should be nice and hard in a few days or so. I'll keep checking on it every now and then.

B-25, Hopefully get more done this weekend, add decals etc....
Beaufighter, get some more done before painting, add canopies etc...
P-51D's, same as above....
Bf 110G-2, same again...a few bits and bobs before painting, gluing details to the canopy, which I don't look forward to!
Ju 88, possibly give it a wash and paint the internal structures, cockpit etc., while waiting for decals to arrive....

All this while trying to block out the seducing calls by the tempting 1/32 '88! :oops:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back