What's on The Workbench (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Tom, I was just looking at that very kit a couple of days ago. I know what you mean about Testors, and Lindbergh, although they're not that common in the U.K. I believe though, that with a bit of work, they can turn out nice. I did the ex-Lindbergh (very) old Hawker Hunter a few years back and, with a bit of work and additions here and there, it was fine. Not as much finesse as today's kits of course, but O.K. Post some pics when you get going on it.

Can't post any pics just yet, but, here's where I'm up to. Just have to do final 'detail' touches on the Academy 1/48th P38J, finished as a 20th. F.G. aircraft, April '44. This one is to be used to 'pose' for a painting, although it's built with gear down and will ultimately end up in a small diorama.
Almost finished the interior on the Revell/Monogram 1/48th. B26 Marauder; it's more-or-less 'out of the box', with a few extra scratch detailing bits, and again, headed for a diorama. Then it's clean and repair a number of older models, 1/32nd and 1/48th, ready for photography, and (some) inclusion in the diorama guide. At the same time, finishing the painting (picture) of Harrier GR3's over Belize, then drafting out the P38 painting... then it'll be Christmas!!

Er.....buy myself some models.... or a compressor?
I don't normally get presents, although my two girls sometimes get me something, if they see me at Christmas. Might as well do some modelling over the Christmas period, as there's nothing else to do, all my friends go visiting relatives, and the pub next door to my house has just closed down for good......

Here's a quick view of my Testors 1/48 Phantom II. You can see that the fuselage doesn't fit together well. I had to start at the front.......

It will take some filler to get the back bulkhead of the cockpit to seal up. I have just a few minutes a day a few days a week to work on my models, so it will be done in fits and starts.

tom

Attachments

• Phantom .jpg
    Phantom .jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 134
Yep! Looks O.K. so far Tom. It's a bitch when they won't go together properly, isn't it? Just found that on the port wing of the 1/48th. Marauder, it's a bit warped, and needed 'gentle persuasion' to go straight, and dtay glued!

Well, the P38 and B26 are nearly finished. I've done the Marauder more or less 'out of the box', with a few minor details added; one of the few times I've actually used kit decals. The model is finished for a date slightly earlier than depicted by the kit decals, so I modified the 'bomb log' accordingly, and tried to 'lessen' the weathering shown in a photo of 'Idiot's Delight'. (The aircraft on the decal sheet.) Even so, when I eventually post pics, there's sure to be someone who will think the weathering is O.T.T., so I'll post the original period b&w shot of the actual A/C to prove it! Pics will be posted soon as I borrow a digital camera, saves time using my 35mm SLR film camers!

Not so much dirt, Lucky, more a lack of Olive Drab paint! The real 'Idiot's Delight' showed MANY patches of bare metal through the camouflage paint, which, although common on the B26, was extreme in this case, and it also displayed variations in shade, as the paint weathered at different levels.
I've always wondered about the weathering on Marauders; was it due to the paint used, possibly a lack of etch-primer, or perhaps just the smooth surface finish of this aircraft that caused this phenomena? I know, as we all probably do, that the paint finish of American aircraft in WW2, particularly Olive Drab, suffered extensively under the British climate (even though Britain doesn't have a climate, only weather!), but it certainly seems more prevalent on the Marauder, over a relatively short period of time. (On average, 9 to 6 months.) Perhaps someone out there has a answer to this?

Hope your cold clears up soon, mate. The 'Dak' is looking good. Can you confirm that the 1/48th Revell/Monogram gunship kit includes the 'original' kit pieces; the para seats etc?
If so, I'll but one, as the original kit is hard to find nowadays, and I want to do a R.A.F. para-dropping aircraft, or one immediate post war, in NMF.
Cheers, Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back