What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

8)

Muller, I don't want to be a pain, but the upper wing crosses should be on the lower wing and the narrow type should be on the upper wing.....just want to help get it right!

it's alright Wayne, the crosses underneath are the same as the upper. It's just an experimental build to try out my airbrush.
:oops:

Hi, Petadel. That Mosquito kit can build into a VERY nice model, did a conversion of one to PRXVI years ago, but it 'flew' off a shelf and 'went in'!
If you don't already know, you'll need to blend-in the engine nacelles to the wings at the trailing edge, as the match is too sharp, quite easy with Milliput or similar. There are a few little things that aren't quite right with the kit, most of which go un-noticed, except the canopy, which is a little bit too high. Not much you can do about that, apart from mould a new one, but at least there's room inside to make the internal tubular framework from sprue/wire. Also, at certain angles, the nose looks a bit 'sharp', a common fault on bomber Mossie kits.If you can get hold of the Patrick Stephens book 'Classic Aircraft how to model them, Mosquito' it shows all the 'mods' needed, plus it's got lots of detail drawings/photos etc. Also, for reference pics, look at www.detailpics.net
You should enjoy the build, lots of scope for scratch-build and detailing. Like to see the progress as you build.
Terry.

Thanks airframes there is thousands of details of the mossie - I think I have settled on A52-319 so there is lots to scratch make and amend. The bloody tire tread has taken a few hours to sand and match.
I find the model quick plain in the detailed department the wheel well oil tanks, cockpit detail.

Excerpt from ADF-Serials :

Ordered as a Mk40 but converted to PR41 on production line and delivered as A52-319. 18/02/48 2 AD. 10/03/48 3 AD Archerfield QLD. 16/03/48 When in flight 130 miles NE of Dubbo NSW. Pilot reported fire in the instrument panel. Repaired. 17/08/48 3 AD Stored. 20/07/53 Sold to Capt James Woods of Perth for 100 pounds and registered as VH-WAD named �The Quokka�. It was intended that Capt Woods compete in the 1953 England-New Zealand air race but he was unable to get a sponsor do A52-319 was stored until eventually purchased by the Australian War Museum. It was restored and is on display at the AWM in Canberra (see photos in the adf-serials aircraft gallery).

it's alright Wayne, the crosses underneath are the same as the upper. It's just an experimental build to try out my airbrush.
:oops:

Thats what I did with my B-26 completly wrong colours ,all experimental

I didn't notice until Wayne pointed the out

hope you learn't as much as I did

starting my tempest tonight but am wondering what colour to use in the insides of the wheel bays and doors etc the plans say silver, is this correct ?
or were they painted some shade of green ?

Hi Karl, both the Typhoon and the Tempest undercart bays, and the doors, were silver, I think 'Laquered Aluminium'. I've got an old article, with scale plans, for the Tempest, from a modelling magazine from the early '70's, which should help you. It's got lots of detail, cockpit, gunsight, structure and engine, stencils, the lot! I'll dig it out, scan it and e-mail it to you in the next day or so. Don't want to risk posting it on the forum, in case of copyright etc.
Terry.

Interesting Terry.But I'm not sure if the colour is correct.I took a look at some pics where the parts of Typhoon and Tempest are visible and I think these weren't of silver.Much possible these were of interior green.The difference between their colour and the main landing legs one is clearly visible.Even laquered aluminium is silver so the difference shouldn't be visible in the case.

Very possible, on some aircraft, Wojtek. However, most of the photos I've seen, showing these areas, have a very different tonal quality, which I have compared on a metameric colour/tone comparator scale. Given that the landing gear legs are either grey painted, or a silver-grey coating that included powdered aluminium, then the pics I'm talking about showed a distinct difference from the green colours that could have been used. The tone was definitely in the area of a 'silver'. Also, other Hawker aircraft, from Hurricane to Sea Fury, exhibit the 'silver' colour on the gear doors and wells, which is not to say that a green colour was never used, of course. Bear in mind that the Typhoon and the Tempest cockpits were, mostly, black-painted, unlike earlier aircraft which were finished in the interior greyish green colour we all know, which might be an indication of the non-use of interior green. But, when the Tempest that is now in the R.A.F. Museum was first restored to display condition, the main-gear doors were a green shade, darker than the 'usual' green, which compares with some WW2 monochrome pics in tonal value!!
Conclusion? I think both finishes were used, even though the 'official' colour spec appears to have been silver!

Interesting.I have to go through other materials about these planes again.

cheers guys, started to paint all the fiddly bits last night and i went with silver for the wheel bays and interior doors (can always paint over in green if that turns out to correct).
also started my fw190 D am doing a JG301 machine flown by feldwebel Hagen Forster in the spring of 1945 (mainly because it looks the easier paint scheme of the three that came with the academy kit)

Actually about to do some more work on my High Planes Wirraway.

Essentially have to build most the interior work myself, its my first limited run kit with white metal, resin and sand cast plastic parts.

going to finish it in the markings of the Wirraway that shot an Oscar down on Boxing day 42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back